Silky Roosters

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LMJ, Sep 27, 2011.

1. LMJ

LMJ New Egg

Sep 2, 2011
    Yesterday Morning a neighbor called to tell me there were 2 chickens running around a field at the end of my street and she thought they might be mine. I checked my coop and all were accounted for but being concerned I drove up to the field and they were 2 beautiful silkies, one white and one black. They were being pursued quite agressively by a hawk so I phoned for help and my friend and I scooped them up and brought them back to my coop. They are beautiful, they seemed to get along well with my chickens which are araucana's, rhode Island reds, couchin and a name I cannot remember, something like barbed rock.....anyway, we did check with surrounding neighbors to try to find out where they had escaped from, no one owned them. Later that day the Black one began crowing, he's a rooster, high pitched crow, very frequent. Even later than that the white one, blue beak, blue feet, blue ears began crowing as well....lower tone..I was wondering if a hen would ever crow in this breed? Today the white one began attacking the other chickens without provication. she charges at them with her feet, like a cock-fighter. If this continues I will have to find them a new home. They are beautiful but my chickens are scared away from their feed and water by them. I want my chickens to be happy.
    We came to the conclusion that whomever owned them discovered they were roosters and didn't want them so they dumped them in the field, I could never do that.[​IMG]
    Is anyone in the southern NH area, I live in Derry, Interested in giving a nice home to two beautiful silky roosters for free?
    The roosters I currently have in my flock are still juveniles and I worry about what will happen as they mature...
    [​IMG] Thanks for any help you can provide,

Linda

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    welcome to the world of roosters

if you just dumped new birds into your flock without quarantine, you might pay for your good intentions with serious disease in your flock. I hope all you are stuck with is rehoming cute breeds. I suggest separating them now if you have facilities, until they get more used to each other if you intend on keeping them.

photo and post on craigslist

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I had a beautiful silky rooster. He was also a crowing maniac; morning, noon and night, incessantly. He was an aggressive little poopy head who went after anyone who turned their back on him. I rehomed him, and not by dumping him in a field.

I agree, separate and quarantine.

4. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    You could also go to the appropriate BYC section, post photos, name your area, and try giving them away HERE. We're all suckers for that sort of thing.

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd recommend seperating both of the beautiful Silkies together in another cage or coop until they get used to your flock

6. LMJ

LMJ New Egg

Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks so much for all your replies, I have separated them and am going to take pictures and post them to see if I can get any takers.
    They are young, not mature and that is why I strongly believe that they have just begun to crow so their owners didn't want them and just dumped them in the field assuming the farmer would keep them. The farmer and his wife have given up their cattle and now work regular day jobs and no longer have chickens either. They were at work when we got them away from the hawk.
    We have checked local area farms and so far no luck. I guess no one wants roosters. My only reason for trying to rehome them is that I already have 2 roosters, possibly 3 and I don't want so many in my small flock. They are calming down and the crowing has lessened. I still don't like the white one charging the smaller chicks with his legs but even that seems to be decreasing.
    Thanks again for your input...
    Linda [​IMG]

7. LMJ

LMJ New Egg

Sep 2, 2011
    Hi everyone, I just thought I would send you an update on those beautiful silky roosters. The MSPCA in Methuen, MA agreed to take them. They have a really nice coop and other chickens to be with. They are going to try to rehome them together because the white one becomes very anxious when the black on isn't in sight. Anyway, that are not going to kill them, they will keep them till they can find them a nice home...
    It's such a nice place, they have lots of horses, pigs, goats, chickens, and yes roosters, geese and dogs. It's just beautiful. While we were there someone actually stopped by with their kids because they thought it was a petting zoo....HaHa....
    anyway, I'm so relieved that they will be safe there and my chickens are much happier now.

Thanks for all your input on this, I really appreciate it.

Linda (LMJ)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by