Silky?

heby

Songster
8 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Georgia
I have been searching every week in the assorted bantam bin at feed stores. This week I found what looks like a silky based on what I found online. Can anyone tell me for sure? It is
beautiful & soft. Is there anyway to tell what sex it is?

It has 5 toes. I seen the puff on the head and asked to see it. As he was scooping it up, I seen the 5 toes and immediately said I would take it. If it is a roo, will it get along with my other one or will I have to separate them. I'm praying for a female tho.
fl.gif

5 toes is a silkie as far as i have been reading on here, as for the second bit. Some roosters get along, and some dont. Some will fight and fight. And some dont. I have one SS rooster, and one Banty mix rooster. They both get a long. They don't fight they stay out of each others way for the most part.

Where can I find out what kind of silkie it is? like the type of coloring? I'm completely new to the silkie world.

Best thing i can tell ya is to go through the hatcheries and look at their silkies, i think maybe a blue...but i am not sure at all. What i know is from what i read, i don't have silkies at all so lost on what color and stuff.

You can do a quick search in google for "silkie coloring" but this one is either a blue or a grey (both very close in color- darker heads and gray body).

Silkies come in many different looks- like show quality (check out my avatar image) to hatchery quality. If you got it at TSC it is a hatchery quality and the feather can vary from really fuzzy and fluffy to a bit more smooth.

The 2 in my image are naked-neck silkies or "showgirls" even though they are roosters. Silkies typically have kinda rump bums-

Silkies are fantastic! Both my silkie roosters are great papas. They love to cuddle and are not aggressive at all. Silkies are looked at as the "lap dog" of the chicken world- and for good reason!

it is harder to tell the sex of silkies i never knew that my two hens as i thought were a rooster and a hen i found out my rooster rudy was a male when his comb started to get bigger and his crest was different then my hens then their saddle feathers will come and and so on ... it looks liek a blue or black then the other looks to be silver same thing as grey mine just looks more like a silver color so i just say silver instead but you could ask a girl on here named axoa she is really good with silkies and i got mine from her i know her of backyard chickens we go to shows ans sales and thats where we met but she can help out a lot i learned everything i know about silkies from here and she still knows a lot more so just pm her and maybe she can help out

Thank you! Both pics are of the same chick. It is a darkish grey color with black around its eyes. The beak and legs are black with feathers and 5 toes. :)

Back
Top Bottom