1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly crowing question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Faith Hope, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I have a silly question for you all that I am really curious about.

Does your rooster actually make a "cock-a-doodle-doo" sound? Mine (and I have several!) all make more of a "Cock-a-doodle" and leave off the last syllable. Whenever they crow, I often add a "doo" sound to them, but they just ignore me! [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some of the roos that I have had say "er-er-er."

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

My rooster has a EE RRR crow!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Roosters' crows can vary a LOT especially by breed. Consider there are some with a prolific long crow. [​IMG]

Some articles say the more notes and more prolific crow, the more dominant the rooster - But honestly through my findings in having a bachelor pad filled with roosters of different breeds for years, - They just have different crows based on the individual, its age, and its breed. [​IMG]

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those are some serious lungs... Holy smokes!

6. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie roo has an especially annoying, shrill crow: EEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAH!

I once had a BR roo whose crow was "broken." He would arch his neck & begin his very full-throated crow... COCK-A-DOO! The funny thing is that his neck remained arched, and he was in full crowing posture, as if the sound was still going! The whole time I had him (hatched him myself) he never had a complete crow. [​IMG]

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Thats awesome! [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I can tell which rooster is crowing by his crow. They all have a little different sound.

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I currently have 5 roo's. 2 arent old enough to crow yet, but out of the other 3, 2 of them have a majestic, no nonsense cock-a-doodle-doooooo crow...The other, who is at the bottom of the roo pecking order of the 3, sounds more like a chicken with a dying battery. He's not real loud (thank God!), sounds like he's hoarse & sounds like he gives up 1/2 way through the crow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by