Silly crowing question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Faith Hope, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I have a silly question for you all that I am really curious about.

Does your rooster actually make a "cock-a-doodle-doo" sound? Mine (and I have several!) all make more of a "Cock-a-doodle" and leave off the last syllable. Whenever they crow, I often add a "doo" sound to them, but they just ignore me! [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some of the roos that I have had say "er-er-er."

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

My rooster has a EE RRR crow!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Roosters' crows can vary a LOT especially by breed. Consider there are some with a prolific long crow. [​IMG]

Some articles say the more notes and more prolific crow, the more dominant the rooster - But honestly through my findings in having a bachelor pad filled with roosters of different breeds for years, - They just have different crows based on the individual, its age, and its breed. [​IMG]

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those are some serious lungs... Holy smokes!

6. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie roo has an especially annoying, shrill crow: EEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAH!

I once had a BR roo whose crow was "broken." He would arch his neck & begin his very full-throated crow... COCK-A-DOO! The funny thing is that his neck remained arched, and he was in full crowing posture, as if the sound was still going! The whole time I had him (hatched him myself) he never had a complete crow. [​IMG]

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Thats awesome! [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I can tell which rooster is crowing by his crow. They all have a little different sound.

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I currently have 5 roo's. 2 arent old enough to crow yet, but out of the other 3, 2 of them have a majestic, no nonsense cock-a-doodle-doooooo crow...The other, who is at the bottom of the roo pecking order of the 3, sounds more like a chicken with a dying battery. He's not real loud (thank God!), sounds like he's hoarse & sounds like he gives up 1/2 way through the crow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by