Silly crowing question

Faith Hope

Songster
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Illinois
I have a silly question for you all that I am really curious about.

Does your rooster actually make a "cock-a-doodle-doo" sound? Mine (and I have several!) all make more of a "Cock-a-doodle" and leave off the last syllable. Whenever they crow, I often add a "doo" sound to them, but they just ignore me!
smile.png

Roosters' crows can vary a LOT especially by breed. Consider there are some with a prolific long crow.
wink.png

Some articles say the more notes and more prolific crow, the more dominant the rooster - But honestly through my findings in having a bachelor pad filled with roosters of different breeds for years, - They just have different crows based on the individual, its age, and its breed.
smile.png

My silkie roo has an especially annoying, shrill crow: EEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAH!

I once had a BR roo whose crow was "broken." He would arch his neck & begin his very full-throated crow... COCK-A-DOO! The funny thing is that his neck remained arched, and he was in full crowing posture, as if the sound was still going! The whole time I had him (hatched him myself) he never had a complete crow.
lau.gif

I currently have 5 roo's. 2 arent old enough to crow yet, but out of the other 3, 2 of them have a majestic, no nonsense cock-a-doodle-doooooo crow...The other, who is at the bottom of the roo pecking order of the 3, sounds more like a chicken with a dying battery. He's not real loud (thank God!), sounds like he's hoarse & sounds like he gives up 1/2 way through the crow!

Back
Top Bottom