Silly husband, it's all wrong!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So, every run and coop I've ever had I've built myself due to husband's military career. Now, he's quite handy. He's also out of the Army and just hanging out while I work... for a change.

So, I left specific instructions and dimensions, shopping list... to meet the specifications of my coop and run. For the first time ever, money wasn't an issue, so I was feeling very particular. We got the shed and got it up on the weekend. Still needs windows and a pop door, next on the list so I can move the birds from the other shed to "their" shed.

I come home, to a giraffe hut. I kid you not, 8x10 at the base like I wanted.. but like 10 feet tall like a giraffe or peacocks were going to live in it!

made the shed look this big >---<.

I'm not the type to grin and bear it. I mean, I have to see it and use it every day! he's like... "I did that so I wouldn't bump my head". Alright, but you're 6'2, you going to do jumping jacks in there or something?

Plus he's like "We'll need two more rolls of wire".... well I guess so if you're going that tall and running the wire vertical instead of wrapped around on the parallel line.

So yeah, it's all coming down and getting started over. The effort was great, the execution... not so much. Plus the 1x10's were on the top and not the bottom?? Dunno how that happened. Either he can't read or I can't draw.

So he skipped a step and the birds don't get to move, and the run is still "not done" because first we have to take it apart. I knew the place would fall apart when I started working! Cause you know, dishes, vacuuming, ect wasn't done either.

Quote:
x2
big_smile.png

Rather than take it down just measure up to the height you want and cut the studs off. He may not be a carpenter but he'll be handy when it comes to popping predators.
big_smile.png
Or maybe not, my nephew spent 30 yrs in the Army and couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun.
lol.png

When I first started reading your post all I could think was Uh Oh this is going to be trouble! I know how hard it is to work with someone who "knows how to do it better". I give him kudos for trying but I know how it is to think that something is getting done and go and look at it and see that it is not what you had envisioned. Maybe you and DH might not be able to build the coop together or agree that you are in charge and he just nails the boards where you want them. Don't know if that will work either but it might. I started building a large coop a couple of weekends ago and I told my DH to just go watch football and I would let him know when I needed him. It is not that he doesn't want to help, it is that he wants to help too much and it won't be what I want. He does have more carpentry experience so when he has a good suggestion, I will use it. When he has a suggestion I have no intention of using, I will just smile and nod and go do what I wanted to do in the first place.
gig.gif

I wouldn't dream of pulling it down, either, unless whatever he used where the 1x10's were supposed to go will absolutely not work, and it's standing now, isn't it? If only because I wouldn't do that to him. You can make almost anything work for a coop. Eyesore? Why? And to whom? It wouldn't be one to me!

I always recommend people don't go smaller than an 8x8 people-sized building, which is going to be about 10' at the peak, so they can get inside easily, store feed, and a host of other reasons. Even for a few birds. Especially in cold climates like yours. You can't have too much space for them.

Back
Top Bottom