Silly Momma Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by decafin8d, Nov 8, 2011.

1. decafin8d

decafin8d New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Ok I have a runner duck that has chosen that this would be a good time to hatch out a clutch of eggs. She has been sitting on about 10-12 eggs for the past month. She chose a pile of leaves under the porch way back at the back. I have been crawling under the porch to check on her and the eggs. Today I have heard some peeping coming out from under her. Don't know how many have hatched. So here is the question. It is November and I live in the mountains of Virginia, I wish she would have asked me first if this was a good time but she chose to hide her intentions from me until it was too late, anyway my question is what do I do now? Do I let her try to mother them or should I take them and place them under a heat lamp. Should I pen up momma duck with them? I have experience with chickens but nothing really with ducks.

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Well the mama duck is an excellent mom. U would probably.leave them with her but keep a close eye on them.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What kind of housing can you offer them? She may need help keeping them warm and dry.

4. decafin8d

decafin8d New Egg

May 13, 2011
    I would love to keep the mother with the ducklings, I have a small barn and also have a duck house. I was thinking of building a 3'X5' pen to keep them in with the heat lamp and put that in the barn, then I would also have a place to place starter food for them. I would love to just trust the maternal instincts but she is a very young duck herself but so far her instinct have been spot on.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:That is a great idea. Would give them shelter and help mom keep them safe, warm, and dry.

6. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't under-estimate a duckies momm-tastic abilities, I once had a duck, she's was just a run-of-the mill mix duckling I had rescued from being used as snake food [​IMG]

but now looking back, I do believe she was a cayuga mix,since she layed grey eggs, but she was blue and white spotted a bit like an ancona...ANYWAYS, she started llaying around 6 or so months old, she had layed three eggs, her FIRST three eggs, and then stopped, and a couple days later parked herself on those eggs, and 28 days later hatched out the prettiest little chocolate duckling I'd ever seen, she protected that thing with her life, she was a good momma to her little son, let him stay around her for about 7 weeks, like she culdn't part with him [​IMG]

oh,and PIC-A-TURES!, I love runners [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I'd keep her with them and put them in a safe place with shelter. Ducks do so much better when they can be kept with mama, I've found.

8. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:Love you avatar! [​IMG]

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:yes you have the right idea, they need heat and starter food and water the mom will teach them how to drink and eat, just put them all together in your barn give them a few hours to hatch..

10. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Love you avatar! [​IMG]

Thanks!! That's Dixie, my 2 year old black and tan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by