silly pullets

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, May 9, 2011.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    i have 8 pullets that are feathered, growing, and more-or-less socially acclimated to the rest of the 18 or so hens in the flock. They don't roost on the roosting bars in my coop, they sleep outside the nest boxes all huddles together in one mish-mashed pileup of brown, white, peach and fuzz. They get chased by my young BRs, the RIRs, and the rooster. I do treat them nice, catching one here or there and offering scratch out of my hand which they eagerly devour.

Now here's the silly part. I have 4 CHICKS. I let them out of the brooder and they found their way into the coop and went to work scratching about finding all kinds of bugs and old scratch, pellets that the hens had long forgotten. Each little chick was fully fed when I went tocheck on them later... but you'll never guess where I found them. They bypassed the ackward pullet phase and had jumped right up to the roosts like full-grown hens. When I found them they were 3 in a row (fourth was sleeping on the ladder) between one of my grouchiest RIRs and an anti-social wynadotte. They were all sound asleep.

What happened to these pullets that they can't figure out that they need to sleep up top, not on the half-way landing...

The chicks were, as it turns out, hatched by one of the most anti-social of the wynadottes. The pullets came from the store, as chicks.

Anyway, I bet Agnes is working up a whopper of a newsletter for this upcoming Chicken Rebuttal Society newsletter.

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sounds like the vig girls recognized their own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by