Silly question? How do I tell if I have roosters or hens??

emsell

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
I inherited 8 baby chicks from my son's kindy hatching program-
We brought them home at 2 weeks old and they are now about 10 weeks old.
What we have is as follows:
3 reddish coloured ones with tiny combs and minimal wattles which I believe are hens.
2 white ones with no colour at all- red combs and wattles but no other "rooster-like" features.
2 white ones with lot of brown speckles on their wings, red combs and wattles.
1 smaller white one with only a small amount of brown speckle on the wings, however the comb and wattles look the same as the other speckled chooks.

I have done a lot of reading about how to tell the difference, but I honestly can't tell the difference- I thought I had 4 hens and 4 roosters (the two white ones and the two more heavily speckled ones), but I have just looked over the fence at our neighbours chooks and they look like the ones I THOUGHT were roosters! I am confused and wondering if I am looking at different breeds, rather than different sexes??

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Got any pics?

no- but it is dark here now- I will post some tomorrow- I didnt even think of that!

Heh, heh, heh, welcome to the mad, mad, mad world of chickens. There is a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge in these forums. Have fun and keep your sanity.
clap.gif
he.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
How do I post photos? (I have taken them- just dont know how to post them...)

Here are the pics- I would appreciate any help with distingushing the hens from the roosters (I have included only one pic of the red/brown ones as they all look exactly the same).

65378_white_1.jpg

65378_white_w_black_tail_feather.jpg

65378_brown_1.jpg

65378_little_speckles.jpg

65378_big_speckles_1.jpg

65378_big_speckles_1b.jpg

65378_big_speckles_2b.jpg

I'm not sure what breed the 1st one is but it looks like a roo if it is 10 weeks old. The rest are red sex links (aka golden comets, red stars, etc.). The one in the 3rd pic is a hen and the rest are roos.

Thanks- thats what I was thinking- I thought the red/brown ones were hens and the others were roosters, just couldnt be100% sure...

Back
Top Bottom