silly question(whats difference between a fryer and a roaster)

cardboy826

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
winston-salem, nc
I am thinking about raising some cornish/rock crosses to feed the family. What is the difference between a fryer and a roaster? I plan on getting a rotisserie cooker. That is most likely the way I would cook most of the birds. Any advice or recommendations?

I believe the difference is the weight of the bird. A fryer is usually around 3-4 lds, a roaster is bigger. If you are going to cook them using a rotisserie i suggest the smaller bird so that it will fit in the cooker.

Keee-rect. The weight of the bird. A fryer is around 3-4 lbs, except RC's are bigger than that...a roaster is 8-10, but RC's are bigger than that. The ones that crow the earliest get to be fryers...the quiet well behaved ones get to be roasters. There is a difference in feed cost ratio, as their efficiency declines between 4 and 8 lbs--costs you more per pound to feed them to that size.

so if I was gonna do cornish rock crosses, and I wanted to cook them all rottisirie style at say 4-5 pounds each, would I want to buy cockerels or pullets?

Back
Top Bottom