silly question

Izzymoon

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Today I heard it was supposed to be 85-90 degrees with "baking sun" tomorrow so I took our umbrella from our patio set and put it in front of the coop so the west sun doesn't cook the girls. I would like to take one of those OFF fans that stop mosquitos and clip it to the edge of the umbrella. Would this be ok, or would it be too toxic for the chickens? They say it works for 12 ft.

Last edited:
Why do you want the off fan? Is jt for the chems? Or just as a fan? That is a nice locatio. And the umbrella is nice i wouldnt worry about the rest. If you are having bugs you need a differenr solution. 90 degrees is nothing here i n florida and my birds are surviving:) but they are fully shaded with full ventilation. I may use a real fan though soon cause its so hot!

It's a product sold by OFF it's a small little device that has a tiny fan on it, that normally you clip to your belt to keep the mosquitos away without using sprays etc. It's kinda small. We just had big rains here and I live near a lake, so the mosquitos are pretty fierce

I was looking at that same thing today wondering if it would keep mosquitoes out of my coop. I just don't know if it's dangerous. I didn't buy it. I think you will get a lot of opinions here and no real answers about this particular issue.

Last edited:
my gut says it's ok because it's away from the coop, (not pointing directly at it) there'll be the effects of it, but the actual poison used won't contact the chickens. I have yet to see any mosquitos on them, but it's just the start of the season.

says: metofluthrin

This is the warning label

Hazards to Humans and Domestic Animals:
CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Avoid breathing vapor. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, or using tobacco. Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Store away from food, beverages and pet food. Do not use indoors or in enclosed spaces. Do not touch device with metal instruments or wet hands. Do not allow materials of any kind to cover the unit while it is in use. Replace refill only when unit is off.

so the unit will be facing upward (skyward) and off to the end of the umbrella any falling spray will fall on the umbrella

Metofluthrin is an organic compound similar to pyrethrum which is made from Chrysanthemums or marigolds...Pyrethrum is used by many people to dust or dip chickens for lice and mites so it's probably as safe in this form as any other. It's considered safe for most animals but it can be deadly toxic for cats.

Do Mosquitoes bite chickens? I live in an area where we occasionally see a mosquito pr two when night time temps first rise but I lived in New Jersey so I know they can be nasty.

Back
Top Bottom