Roost question -placement

Miriahbrown

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2023
We are finishing up our coop for our 3 wk chicks. I started to do the roosting bars today following guidelines I'd read online and then started to doubt myself partway through. I would appreciate feedback.

We have an 8x4 coop. The front wall is 5ft tall, the back wall is 4ft tall. We have cutouts with hardware cloth high up on the walls for ventilation and I'm trying to keep the roosts below that so they aren't too drafty or cold in winter. I am using wood to make a holder for the roost so that the roost bars are removable and I can take them out and clean them.

The roosts are in the back half of the coop so they don't go over the door to their run (it's in the front half). Also, we plan to add nesting boxes on the back wall, but that won't be until later since they won't need that right away anyways. Figure they'll get used to the roosts before we add those in. They already sleep on a roost in the brooder.

Each roost is about 30 inches off the floor. If I go higher it'll be quite cool in winter. I'm using 2x4s with the flat part up. I made 3 roosts because we have 10 chickens and I wanted each chicken to have 10-12 inches width and the two bars aren't technically enough if I want that much space (saw that recommended on here). We have 3 buff orps, 4 Australorps, and 3 barred rocks. So, some bigger ladies when full size.

When I read online, I saw to space them at least 12 inches apart.. however, when I placed them, I realized I didn't account for the width of each bar and simply marked 12 inches apart on the wall.. with 3 roosts, I don't think they can actually get to the back two roosts because there are about 11 inches of space between the bars.. is this ok? Will they get on the first bar and easily hop to the others? Or do I need to take away the middle roost and figure something else?

I haven't added the rest of the pieces to the edges (I have 1.5 inch pieces to place along the sides of the bottom piece that will frame in the roosts so I can set them in it to rest and be removed from).

I couldn't put the roosts in on the side walls (the 8 ft walls) though that's what I originally wanted to do. To put them 16-18 inches off the wall so it isn't covered in poop, it made the roost pretty central in the coop.. and I couldn't accommodate two roosts easily that way

Attachments

• PXL_20231013_013743356.jpg
    PXL_20231013_013743356.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 148
  • PXL_20231012_202153028.jpg
    PXL_20231012_202153028.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20231012_202136514.jpg
    PXL_20231012_202136514.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 67
It might be easier to make a cross shaped perch, the longest perch going the length and a short one going the width. ir one long and two short on either end.
Yours appear to be too close together.
Also, plexiglass or shower curtain to put over the windows in the winter, as they are not quite high enough to avoid breezes. Or lower the roosts.
I love that paint color.

Welcome to BYC, @Miriahbrown! Thank you for joining us!
My thoughts on your roosting bars: The 11" space between is fine. I'm not sure if the recommendation is for 12" space between bars, or just 12" center-to-center, but you're close enough. I would lower them, though. I think they're too close to the windows and drafts will blow right over their heads and on their bodies. They don't need to be more than 18-inches off the floor, and your bigger ladies will appreciate reaching them easier. You could stair-step them, one low and two higher, to give them a choice. I think you'll find, though, that they'll bunch up together all along the highest roosts. Go figure. You give them plenty of room, and they'll pack in like sardines anyway. Be sure to locate the nesting boxes below the level of the lowest roosts, or they'll be roosting IN the boxes, since chickens always want the highest perch. I like your idea to wait until they're older and bigger, because pullets often prefer roosting IN the boxes instead of on the roosts. Once lay starts, they'll migrate to the roosts anyway.

It might be easier to make a cross shaped perch, the longest perch going the length and a short one going the width. ir one long and two short on either end.
Yours appear to be too close together.
Also, plexiglass or shower curtain to put over the windows in the winter, as they are not quite high enough to avoid breezes. Or lower the roosts.
I love that paint color.
Thank you - my daughter picked the color! I think I will add a long one and do the cross like you mentioned instead of 3 as they currently are and just have one be immediately beneath the others so they almost match in height.

Good thought about a shower curtain. I'd wondered about covering the openings in winter..we live in GA, so it doesn't get terribly cold (20-40s are our lower lows, typically). They'll still have ventilation from the angled roof. 🤔

Welcome to BYC, @Miriahbrown! Thank you for joining us!
My thoughts on your roosting bars: The 11" space between is fine. I'm not sure if the recommendation is for 12" space between bars, or just 12" center-to-center, but you're close enough. I would lower them, though. I think they're too close to the windows and drafts will blow right over their heads and on their bodies. They don't need to be more than 18-inches off the floor, and your bigger ladies will appreciate reaching them easier. You could stair-step them, one low and two higher, to give them a choice. I think you'll find, though, that they'll bunch up together all along the highest roosts. Go figure. You give them plenty of room, and they'll pack in like sardines anyway. Be sure to locate the nesting boxes below the level of the lowest roosts, or they'll be roosting IN the boxes, since chickens always want the highest perch. I like your idea to wait until they're older and bigger, because pullets often prefer roosting IN the boxes instead of on the roosts. Once lay starts, they'll migrate to the roosts anyway.
Thank you so much for your thoughts..do you think the roost height is ok if I covered the windows in winter with shower curtains? And the placement be good for our 90-100+ summers in GA? For the breezes, I mean?

I'm considering just adding lower options too and maybe having them higher in summer and lower in winter?

I read so much stuff about making sure roosts are 2-4 ft up that I felt like I wasn't giving them a.higj enough roost 🤦🏻‍♀️😅 and I ended up possibly putting it much higher than necessary, apparently!

Thank you so much for your thoughts..do you think the roost height is ok if I covered the windows in winter with shower curtains? And the placement be good for our 90-100+ summers in GA? For the breezes, I mean?
Yes, I think they'll be FINE with covers over the bottom half of those windows in winter. I didn't realize you were in Georgia. I wrote from my perspective of winter temps that frequently dip below 0-deg-F. But I'd still lower the bars. See below.

I'm considering just adding lower options too and maybe having them higher in summer and lower in winter?
It occurs to me that since your coop is only 8' x 4', there isn't much space for the birds to 'fly' down to the floor, or even up to the roosts - especially for bigger, heavier birds. I have australorps, too - and they need a good distance to fly down. See, they don't just hop down vertically. They'll lean forward from the roost, then kind of hop off while flapping their wings to make a sort-of controlled angled fall to the ground, trying to land on their feet. They'll need a wide enough path to flap their wings and a good distance for the descent. If a ramp is available, or series of high-to-low roosting bars, they'll prefer to use those in a tight space instead of flying. Whatever the case, be sure there's a big enough 'flight path' and vacant floor space in the landing area so they don't injure themselves.
So.... all that said, either lower the bars, or make a cross-bar arrangement with a ramp down the backside of one of the bars.

FYI, recommended floor space in the coop is 4 sq ft. per bird. You have enough space for 8 chickens, so 10 is pushing their limits especially for larger birds. I'd consider at least adding nesting boxes as attached to the outside of the coop (with openings to the inside, of course) instead of placing them inside the coop. And enlarging that coop when you can, or reducing the size of your flock. Crowded birds can create behavioral problems you won't want to deal with.

I read so much stuff about making sure roosts are 2-4 ft up that I felt like I wasn't giving them a.higj enough roost 🤦🏻‍♀️😅 and I ended up possibly putting it much higher than necessary, apparently!
What you read is probably for coops that have ceilings tall enough for people to stand up in.

BTW, I commend you for building your own coop and doing your research on what they need! So many people just buy the pre-fab coops that don't have enough ventilation, and are about half the size needed. You deserve a big high-five!

I agree with all this except the part I bolded.

Recommended roost distance is roughly 14-16" apart because if there's pecking order or bullying issues the chickens can simply reach over and harass or chase off other birds, which can negates the point of having multiple roosts (if a nasty bully simply won't let anyone else roost across from them). If there's no issues, then the roosts being 12" apart might be fine... but be aware they're going to have butts and faces right up against one another once they're full grown.

I do agree you should consider dropping the roosts lower to ensure the birds can get up and down without issue, and to minimize your concerns about drafts. That does mean your nests will also need to be close to floor height (as well as external, you do not have space internally).

It occurs to me that since your coop is only 8' x 4', there isn't much space for the birds to 'fly' down to the floor, or even up to the roosts - especially for bigger, heavier birds. I have australorps, too - and they need a good distance to fly down. See, they don't just hop down vertically. They'll lean forward from the roost, then kind of hop off while flapping their wings to make a sort-of controlled angled fall to the ground, trying to land on their feet. They'll need a wide enough path to flap their wings and a good distance for the descent. If a ramp is available, or series of high-to-low roosting bars, they'll prefer to use those in a tight space instead of flying. Whatever the case, be sure there's a big enough 'flight path' and vacant floor space in the landing area so they don't injure themselves.
So.... all that said, either lower the bars, or make a cross-bar arrangement with a ramp down the backside of one of the bars.
You know.. I looked at so many plans and made sure I picked one that said my size was enough for 10 birds, but I'm wondering if they included the nest boxes in the SF? The plan does have external nest boxes, and I will be adding 3 12 ft wide/deep boxes over winter before they begin laying..though I do think that we may stick to 8 chickens in the future to make sure they have plenty of room. I'd hate them to be crowded. I can't get rid of any of our ladies - we love them all. But if we get a roo we have to rehome, I simply won't replace.

Also, I'll definitely lower the roosts and I may add them ramp, too. There will be nothing else on the floors inside the coop and they have an enclosed run attached.
BTW, I commend you for building your own coop and doing your research on what they need! So many people just buy the pre-fab coops that don't have enough ventilation, and are about half the size needed. You deserve a big high-five!
Thank you! I wanted to just buy a coop to make it easy, but I read so many bad things! I want happy chickens, not just chickens. 🎉
I do agree you should consider dropping the roosts lower to ensure the birds can get up and down without issue, and to minimize your concerns about drafts. That does mean your nests will also need to be close to floor height (as well as external, you do not have space internally).
Thank you for your thoughts! I'm going to add a bar to the long walk and remove the middle of those 3 roosts so nobody can reach each other! And the external nest boxes will be added. Though they'll be lower than I'd thought.

So thankful for everyone's knowledge!

Back
Top Bottom