Silly Seelie

Valntyn

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Central Maine
So, our duck yard is basically a big soap opera right now. *chuckle* We have mostly Muscovies (1 drake and 4 females), four Anconas (2 drakes and 2 females), and one female Buff Orpington.

Our two Ancona drakes started getting their Springtime Frisk on before the snow had finished falling. Did they enjoy the company of their two female Anconas? No. They went after two of the Muscovy girls. *sigh* After a month or so, we had to separate the two gents, because they were mating the two girls to raggety pieces, poor things. (It went beyond balding the backs of their necks. At one point, our beautiful lavender girl looked like she had a bad face lift, because the skin behind her eye had been pulled back.)

So now the girls are healing, getting refeathered, destressed (versus distressed), and looking a little more 'normal.' And our Muscovy drake has started to 'man-up' with the Muscovy girls.

We've had two girls a'laying: one Muscovy (though not sure who) and recently one of the Anconas started earning her keep as well. The Ancona is still laying, but whichever Muscovy was laying has stopped... and in the nest where the Muscovy was laying, our Buff Orpington has gone broody! (Told you it was a soap opera!) We finally decided to leave one egg under her and let Nature take its course. We have no idea if the egg is good or not, but it's a riot watching the silly duck...

She comes out twice a day to grab a couple bill fulls of food, rinse it down with a swig of water, and make that giant deposit from the other end. She has that "I'm a mama" waddle, with her head low, and she actually lowers her head and charges others like a bull, all the while quacking very loudly at them. *giggle* Our first time with mama ducks was last year, and they were Muscovies, so we didn't have all the noise this girl's making. It only lasts a few minutes, but it's quite entertaining.

So, this is Seelie... our Buff Orpington... sitting on a Muscovy egg... To my knowledge, she's never laid an egg of her own in her life, which also adds to the humor I'm finding in this. This isn't exactly the way we wanted the first hatching to go! *laughing* Hopefully our other girls start laying soon!

So, our duck yard is basically a big soap opera right now. *chuckle* We have mostly Muscovies (1 drake and 4 females), four Anconas (2 drakes and 2 females), and one female Buff Orpington.

Our two Ancona drakes started getting their Springtime Frisk on before the snow had finished falling. Did they enjoy the company of their two female Anconas? No. They went after two of the Muscovy girls. *sigh* After a month or so, we had to separate the two gents, because they were mating the two girls to raggety pieces, poor things. (It went beyond balding the backs of their necks. At one point, our beautiful lavender girl looked like she had a bad face lift, because the skin behind her eye had been pulled back.)

So now the girls are healing, getting refeathered, destressed (versus distressed), and looking a little more 'normal.' And our Muscovy drake has started to 'man-up' with the Muscovy girls.

We've had two girls a'laying: one Muscovy (though not sure who) and recently one of the Anconas started earning her keep as well. The Ancona is still laying, but whichever Muscovy was laying has stopped... and in the nest where the Muscovy was laying, our Buff Orpington has gone broody! (Told you it was a soap opera!) We finally decided to leave one egg under her and let Nature take its course. We have no idea if the egg is good or not, but it's a riot watching the silly duck...

She comes out twice a day to grab a couple bill fulls of food, rinse it down with a swig of water, and make that giant deposit from the other end. She has that "I'm a mama" waddle, with her head low, and she actually lowers her head and charges others like a bull, all the while quacking very loudly at them. *giggle* Our first time with mama ducks was last year, and they were Muscovies, so we didn't have all the noise this girl's making. It only lasts a few minutes, but it's quite entertaining.

So, this is Seelie... our Buff Orpington... sitting on a Muscovy egg... To my knowledge, she's never laid an egg of her own in her life, which also adds to the humor I'm finding in this. This isn't exactly the way we wanted the first hatching to go! *laughing* Hopefully our other girls start laying soon!

Why only 1 egg? I have had single hatches before and it's so much better if there are at least 2 ducklings so I usually give 3-4 eggs. What a cutie she is, oh and my one muscovy thats sitting never laid just came in one day and saw these huge goose eggs and decided to go broody, well after 2 weeks of nothing in the goose eggs she is now happily sitting on 4 scovy eggs. And it's pretty much a soap opera here too, and like you said pretty hilarious.

I'm so glad to learn that I'm not the only one living the soap opera life as far as my ducks are concerned. (!) LOL
We could probably have our own TV show H, on Animal Planet, 'Duck Lives of ________County"
roll.png
of course it would have to be rated PG.

Last edited:
*chuckle* No idea on why only one egg. It was like the Muscovy who was laying decided to stop once Seelie starting being all broody. The Ancona kept laying.. I've been collecting her eggs daily. Two days ago, however, she laid one in Seelie's nest. *eye roll* When I tried to get it out from under her, I couldn't tell which was which. SooOo... one MAY hatch in a week or so, and then the other... well, I have no idea how long Ancona eggs take to hatch (that was never in the plan, so never looked it up. Guess I ought to, eh?!

hide.gif
Maybe I should just switch to chickens... hahahaha. (Just kidding.
wink.png
)

*chuckle* No idea on why only one egg. It was like the Muscovy who was laying decided to stop once Seelie starting being all broody. The Ancona kept laying.. I've been collecting her eggs daily. Two days ago, however, she laid one in Seelie's nest. *eye roll* When I tried to get it out from under her, I couldn't tell which was which. SooOo... one MAY hatch in a week or so, and then the other... well, I have no idea how long Ancona eggs take to hatch (that was never in the plan, so never looked it up. Guess I ought to, eh?!

hide.gif
Maybe I should just switch to chickens... hahahaha. (Just kidding.
wink.png
)
Come join us on the Old fashioned broody duck thread. quiet a few there.

Thanks for the invite, Miss Lydia.
big_smile.png
It was fun reading through that thread and adding to it. A new chapter to the Silly Seelie Story.... I couldn't get into her nest this morning to check the egg status, but she came out tonight for dinner, so I ran into the duck house. *chuckle* When I felt around, I found the Muscovy egg, the two Ancona eggs... and... a Buff Orpington egg!! *squee*
wee.gif

Seelie's first egg!!

Seelie's first egg, along with an Ancona's (light grey on left) and a Muscovy's (white, bottom right)

I'm so excited! *giggle* And a bit cross-eyed... there's too many due dates in that one nest.
pop.gif

Thanks for the invite, Miss Lydia.
big_smile.png
It was fun reading through that thread and adding to it. A new chapter to the Silly Seelie Story.... I couldn't get into her nest this morning to check the egg status, but she came out tonight for dinner, so I ran into the duck house. *chuckle* When I felt around, I found the Muscovy egg, the two Ancona eggs... and... a Buff Orpington egg!! *squee*
wee.gif

Seelie's first egg!!

Seelie's first egg, along with an Ancona's (light grey on left) and a Muscovy's (white, bottom right)

I'm so excited! *giggle* And a bit cross-eyed... there's too many due dates in that one nest.
pop.gif
So now what? pretty eggs too.

idunno.gif
Hehe. Who knows. Just going to let Mother Nature take Her course and see what does/doesn't come out of that tote in a few weeks.
wink.png

Drama, drama, drama!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom