Silly Silly Duck it is 4:00 AM

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KellyandKatie, Oct 16, 2007.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    We got a four month old drake moscovy and a three month old duck moscovy. My DD named the drake
    Dr Drake Remoray and the duck I named Poi Poi girl
    Tonight shortly after 3:00 AM, I heard a scurrying outside my bedroom window, so I was laying there wide eyed when a few minutes later my dogs started complaining, and then there was a huge racket from the deck outside. I got up ready to chase racoons off the pouch, only to find Drake at the door. I opened the door to ask him what was going on, and in he walks. Just like he has always lived in the house. No Poi Poi girl with him.
    Drake walks past the kid's sofa and right over to my DH's leather recliner and jumps up on the pillow there, and takes right to rest.
    Now, it is about 3:30, and I know the dogs will soon hear a duck in our house, and the commotion that will follow will certainly wake up the kids.
    Before I can deside what to do, one of my babies wakes up, so I rush to get her back asleep
    During this time, our 14 year old Pomerian gets up to go see Drake, but returns to the bedroom with nothing to report
    I get back up, worried about where Poi Poi girl is, and get my flashlight, and try and convince Drake to follow me outside, he stands in the doorway while I search the yard for Poi Poi girl. She might be under the chicken coop were she usually is, but it is almost 4:00 so I give up and head back inside. Drake follows me back inside.
    I kindly ask him to consider staying in my DH's work garage attached to the house and heated. He paces around, but when I spread out a blanket on a box, he jumps right up there. I offer him some corn and scratch my head.
    What is my duck doing up at this hour and where is his Poi Poi girl?
    I know i am new to ducks, but this gives whole new meaning to the phrase silly duck.
    I am hoping Poi Poi girl is okay, and is just sleeping somewhere.
    I am also hoping that I did not just teach Dr Drake Remoray that my house is his house.
    Maybe I can find him a duck diaper?
    I hope I can go back to bed now and get some sleep- I just had to share this with someone
    My DH is deployed, I think it is nice of Drake to move into his leather recliner while he is gone, but I am not so sure my DH would agree:lol:

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello There,
    That was very sweet, I hope poi poi is Ok.
    Perhaps she has a nest already!!!
    Anyhow ducks dont sleep all night like chickens, Mine are very active at night and I come out in the wee hours with a torch and mine are up foraging!
    I have seen wild ducks on the river at night swimming around too!
    I have 2 baby ducks inside under a red lamp at night in a bunny cage and I hear them in the straw when Im in bed.
    Perhaps your drake was a houseduck?
    Very sweet, Thanks for sharing

3. KellyandKatie

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Well, I had to herd him outside this morning, he did not want to go out.
    What about houseducks? I had heard that ducks could not be housetrained becuase they do not have sphinctor muscle control or something like that
    duck diapers I have seen, and have considered though
    anyone have a house duck?

4. KellyandKatie

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Poi Poi girls is just fine, she was out by one of her shelters this morning, she did not seem to be out of sort in any way

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Some nights all my runner ducks seem to do is waddle single file "talking" for what seems like hours on end, and if it's a full moon forget about it nobody is going to sleep...lol.

Glad Poi Poi is fine!!

Julie [​IMG]

6. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    ok so I HAVE to know...has this continued??
    Kristi

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I have had ducks for about a year and a half. They must take very short naps and sleep light because I have never caught one sleeping.

8. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Whew! I'm glad that poi poi girl is okay. That was a good read.

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    oh my goodness. this sounds like my mr quackers.

one day i thought i was just bringing home a duck. it turned out he was a duck who had a little soul and looked me right in the eye when i spoke to him. it was the scariest thing in my life. i like animals but this was different. just like yours. he knew he belonged here. more than i did probably.

i totally believe that he just made himself at home. i have never tried duck diapers but they sell them just for ducks or you can do just regular diapers. or plastic bags, i think i saw.

mine's favorite thing is to ride in the car in a bucket and listen to the radio. he prefers ballads, nothing with drums thank you very much. i think he thinks it's like ducks singing or something. i don't know.

i could never eat him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by