Silver and Gold Welsh Harlequins

DucksinOR

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Willamette Valley, Oregon
After a few years of not having any poultry (two cross country moves), I finally got some ducks again! :celebrateThe first three I got are Welsh Harlequins from a local feed store that sells sexed ducklings, a big plus for living in town and only allowed 5 ducks.

I purposely picked out three different colored ducklings, one light, one dark, and one medium.

20210516_174742.jpg

I was interested to see if the shade of the ducklings would be reflected in their adult plumage shades and being gold or silver. I’ve only had 3 other Welshies before and two were bought as adults. I was under the impression that the only way to tell the two varieties apart was by their wing patch color (blue or gold), but upon some more research, it appears that the two varieties can be told apart by their overall plumage coloration. I found this article:

https://www.tyrantfarms.com/history-welsh-harlequin-ducks/

Where they quoted Holderread saying:

“The original color was the Gold, which has no black pigment, has soft colors, and is the equivalent of Khaki in Campbells. The Silver variety apparently arose at least 10 years after the origin of the breed and has the same relationship to the Gold variety as Dark has to Khaki in the Campbells. Silver Harlequins have more contrast and brilliance in their plumage and are the most common variety in North America today.”

By what he said and looking more at the different varieties, I would guess I have 2 silvers (the dark duckling and the medium) and 1 gold (the light). They are almost 4 weeks old and their down in completely grown in and there is quite a color difference between the darker two and the light one.

This is a recent picture showing the two darker with very gray down, and the light one with very gold/tawny down.

20210513_125116.jpg

I’m guessing I have two silvers and a gold. Any experts out there to confirm this? Also just another fun picture of the whole flock.

20210512_095841.jpg

In the front is Medwyn (the light Welshie) and in the back from left to right are Elena (was labeled as a Saxony, but coming in completely white), Cariad (the dark Welshie), Marlis (the medium Welshie), and Kyleah (a Silver Appleyard).

My two Welshies that were light when they were babies grew up to be gold phase and my two that were dark when they were babies grew up to be silver. All are girls and I’m not sure whether the light/dark thing would be different with males. Also four ducks is a pretty small sample size...

If those stripes on her tail are black she is a light colored silver. If they are more of a liver color she is a golden. Either way congrats. Beauties you've got there.

After a few years of not having any poultry (two cross country moves), I finally got some ducks again! :celebrateThe first three I got are Welsh Harlequins from a local feed store that sells sexed ducklings, a big plus for living in town and only allowed 5 ducks.

I purposely picked out three different colored ducklings, one light, one dark, and one medium.

View attachment 2673158

I was interested to see if the shade of the ducklings would be reflected in their adult plumage shades and being gold or silver. I’ve only had 3 other Welshies before and two were bought as adults. I was under the impression that the only way to tell the two varieties apart was by their wing patch color (blue or gold), but upon some more research, it appears that the two varieties can be told apart by their overall plumage coloration. I found this article:

“The original color was the Gold, which has no black pigment, has soft colors, and is the equivalent of Khaki in Campbells. The Silver variety apparently arose at least 10 years after the origin of the breed and has the same relationship to the Gold variety as Dark has to Khaki in the Campbells. Silver Harlequins have more contrast and brilliance in their plumage and are the most common variety in North America today.”

By what he said and looking more at the different varieties, I would guess I have 2 silvers (the dark duckling and the medium) and 1 gold (the light). They are almost 4 weeks old and their down in completely grown in and there is quite a color difference between the darker two and the light one.

This is a recent picture showing the two darker with very gray down, and the light one with very gold/tawny down.

View attachment 2673159

I’m guessing I have two silvers and a gold. Any experts out there to confirm this? Also just another fun picture of the whole flock.

View attachment 2673161

In the front is Medwyn (the light Welshie) and in the back from left to right are Elena (was labeled as a Saxony, but coming in completely white), Cariad (the dark Welshie), Marlis (the medium Welshie), and Kyleah (a Silver Appleyard).
Love the names! Are they Welsh by any chance?

Here's a picture of my welsh - all female - and they turned out to be two silver and one gold in the middle. I think the silver are more beautiful because they have the blue/green feathers, but my gold is by far the sweetest and calmest.

Attachments

• IMG_0494 (1).JPG
    IMG_0494 (1).JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 35
Here's a picture of my welsh - all female - and they turned out to be two silver and one gold in the middle. I think the silver are more beautiful because they have the blue/green feathers, but my gold is by far the sweetest and calmest.
They are SO cute!! I know what you mean about thinking that the silver are more beautiful - I feel the same way about mine...though of course I wouldn’t tell them that! I love when they stick their feet out behind them like your gold phase one is doing. So tempting to play with their toes. I often wish mine understood the concept of cuteness and knew how cute I think they are - though I guess that knowledge could be a dangerous weapon in the wrong webbies!

View attachment 2673158

View attachment 2673159

View attachment 2673161

Oh, I love them (and awesome names, btw!)!!

How old are your girls in this pic?

Back
Top Bottom