Silver Appleyard Bantams - PICS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ~*Sweet Cheeks*~, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I'm new to ducks as of last weekend. Put in a 12' x 12' covered pen, kiddy pool, duck house that was brooder built on pallet.

Last weekend I picked up three 5 wk old muscovy and today after work, I picked up three bantam silver appleyard ducklings 3 wks old. She threw in the two call ducklings for $4 extra.

Craigslist ad: http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/grd/1864677550.html

The
    gal said it's too soon to tell the sex. What do you all think?

More pics 5 minutes after putting in pen. They started running around chasing flies. They are much friendlier than the muscovies that are hiding behind that platform leaning up against the fence so they can hide from the dogs stalking the fence. All of the ducklings were hen raised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

3. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    [​IMG]

I think they're the cutest thing I've seen all day!

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    You will *love* the Mini Appleyards. They are far and away my favorite ducks. I have raised them for several years now. Mine are always my friendliest ducklings. My only other breed that compares as far as friendliness is my Mini Overbergs and they were developed in part from the Mini Appleyards. Anyway, you will love them! They are very, very calm and quiet. Mine will literally climb in your lap. I also think they are one of the prettiest ducks I have.

Good luck with yours! [​IMG]

5. javajanie

javajanie Songster

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    So pretty! [​IMG] I love duckies!

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Thank you all -

They do seem to be very friendly considering I just brought them home and they're in a new place. I was so SHOCKED to see them chase the flies and/or other flying insects trying to eat them - at 3 wks old!!!!

Any hints on sexing the appleyards or call ducklings?

7. theimis67

theimis67 In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    In the Appleyards, I would guess that you have 2 drakes and one hen. The drakes will have a darker head. I could be wrong, but that is my guess. I have the CALL size Appleyards and love them. They aren't the snowy color like yours and like the bantams Appleyards that some people have though.

8. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:Robert! It is great to see you here! This is Dana, I bought some Grey Calls from you a couple months ago. They are doing great. [​IMG]

You are absolutely correct about the Mini Appleyards being the Snowy genotype. It seems to confuse people because the US Miniature Silver Appleyards (not the Call version) are not the same color as the full size Silver Appleyards. Most here in the states though still seem to call them "Miniature Silver Appleyards", whereas elsewhere they are known as "Silver Bantams". They are great birds though. It is really hard to tell gender based on the head color (while juveniles). A lot of times the birds with darker heads do indeed end up being drakes, but I have fairly frequently had hens that have very dark heads in their juvenile plumage. I am not sure how much this varies with the SA Calls.

9. lorihadams

lorihadams Songster

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    will you have to clip their wings or keep them in a netted enclosure or will they stay put?

10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    The gal selling these had a couple of apricots that were a year old that she plans to hatch eggs from next year that I will be interested in. They were really pretty little things.

Adding the five little ones yesterday has caused the three 5 wk old scovies to be more social.

Pic from this morning:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: