Silver Appleyard colored Runner Duck

Wokawidget

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Hi,

I popped over to Wales yesterday...and found a great runner breeder with no less than 18 colors of runners...including my favourite duck color of all...Silver Appleyard! Apparently it's taken him 10 years of breeding trout, white and other runner colors to achieve the Silver Appleyard, and it's all pure runner...no cross breeding with a Silver Appleyard duck.

Has anyone else ever seen a Silver Appleyard runner before?
WHat are peoples favourite duck colors?

I was hoping to pick one up yesterday but the snow has affected their laying...So in 5 weeks I will be getting my little peeping ball of fluff in the best duck color ever.

Cheers,

Woka

Last edited:
A breeder here in Australia had a line of Silver Appleyard coloured Runners. From memory they were a line that seperated from his Cinnamons and he was breeding them pure to that colour for five or so years. Appleyards are beautiful birds but when coupled with the stance of the Indian Runner - are absolutely stunning.

I would say the Harlequin Runner Is my all time favorite duck for appearance. But Welsh Harlequins, Silver Appleyard, Saxony and Magpie would by some of my other choices for colour.

Last edited:
We've got to see pictures! I don't think I have ever seen Silver Appleyard in Runner form. In the US, I don't think we have any Runner colors that carry the restricted Mallard of the Silver Appleyard color, but someone could probably come up with a way to create them. Some of the color are different names too in different countries, Cinnamon is an example of that.

I have Runners now in about 10 colors, plus a couple more that I don't have set up for breeding. I love the Silver wild color too (like Welsh Harlequins). That is one of my favorites, but I don't have any good birds in that color right now. One of my other favorites, duckyfromoz, is Saxony. That is a gorgeous color in Runners. I am hopefully going to breed a decent number of those this year. I can't wait to see pics of your Appleyard Runners, wokawidget!

Can the Silver Appleyard colour be produced from birds that don't carry the restricted mallard gene? Here in Australia they (Appleyards) have been produced in recent times & I have often wondered where the ? restricted mallard gene came from? Was it here in some birds. Was it a variant/mutation? Or is it the real McCoy? Colour can be produced via more that one genetic pathway apparently, so is it a case of us (& your runners Wokawidget) having the restricted gene as such, or is it a case of having selected for gene combinations which mimic the Appleyard phenotype. And what about those unidentified modifyers/genes? Questions questions?

I have some Appleyards & will have to post some pics for you Wokawidget. I love the colour too
smile.png

Regards

Last edited:
Don't have an Appleyared runner just yet...it's not even an egg yet...I have to wait till the start of April before I pickup the duckling
sad.png

I think the 1st picture is them:

http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/ir.htm

This is the place that breeds runners where I will be getting my little snuffle-ufagus from.
They also do saxony, magpie, lavender, fawn and white, loads of colors Ive never heard of...the list goes on and on...

I have a photo of them in person on my phone. I'll upload it later.

Aren't Harlequin and Appleyard colors very similar?

Woka

Wow! Those are unbelievable! Gorgeous. Regardless of how they may have created them, they are beautiful.

As far as the restricted Mallard genes, it is simply something that needs to be studied more. I have obtained a few birds that I want to use in test crosses this year (not Runners) to see what birds really carry the restricted genes. If I only had more space (and money, lol)! I am very interested to study just how accurate the original research was on the mallard phases and also how the restricted genes appear in ducklings (and adults too). I have some birds that I am working with that look identical to Appleyards, but hatch out darker than the old time pictures of restricted Mallard birds.

Quote:
Those're some gorgeous runners...I think I need to try to ignore those til I have room for a bigger flock, or else I will be sad and making grabby-hands at the screen
tongue.png

Woka,
Do you have a name, number, or web-site for the place with all of the different colored runner ducks? I'm very interested in them.

OMG!
big_smile.png
tongue.png
I want some too! Do they sale to the USA? I wonder how hard it'd be to get babies or eggs to OKLA. from the UK? I'm new to runners and I want some of all the colors! I'll be back this afternoon to read more of these posts. Have to go to work now.

Back
Top Bottom