Silver appleyard genetics? Breed standard?

thoeffel1994

Songster
11 Years
Feb 14, 2013
I have three silver appleyard drakes and I'm trying to pick which ones I'm going to sell or cull. I've noticed that each one has a different amount of brown on its back. One of them is all silver on its back, one is partially brown and partially silver, and one has a complete brown pattern on its back. Which is consistent with the breed standard or is this amount of variation normal for silver appleyards?

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_181645401_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230924_181645401_HDR.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 43
It's sort of difficult to get great pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_182933880.jpg
    IMG_20230924_182933880.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 18
I don’t know if this helps but in Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks, Dave Holderread says about Appleyards “Drakes with the most silver white in their head plumage produce daughters with the best white-fronted color pattern. When possible, avoid breeding from drakes with solid-green heads and smoky black tails and ducks with solid-green or -black bills.” He also says about the rust color what should happen is that the “claret chest color lightly frosted with white that extends onto shoulders and along sides of body, and pale silver and cream underbody.”

I have three silver appleyard drakes and I'm trying to pick which ones I'm going to sell or cull. I've noticed that each one has a different amount of brown on its back. One of them is all silver on its back, one is partially brown and partially silver, and one has a complete brown pattern on its back. Which is consistent with the breed standard or is this amount of variation normal for silver appleyards

I have three silver appleyard drakes and I'm trying to pick which ones I'm going to sell or cull. I've noticed that each one has a different amount of brown on its back. One of them is all silver on its back, one is partially brown and partially silver, and one has a complete brown pattern on its back. Which is consistent with the breed standard or is this amount of variation normal for silver appleyards?
I purchased Appleyards directly from Holderread's Oregon farm 20 years ago. The drake in the middle of your picture is correctly colored.

I purchased Appleyards directly from Holderread's Oregon farm 20 years ago. The drake in the middle of your picture is correctly colored.
You're talking about this one I'm guessing?

It does have the most even color pattern with the brown extending down its shoulders

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102-203643.png
    Screenshot_20240102-203643.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom