Silver appleyard questions

0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
I have a group of 3 week old ducklings - 1 Cayuga, 3 buffs, and 3 silvers. I have 7 other cayugas so I’m familiar with their tolerances.
Out of my group, I’ve noticed that my silvers are the first ones to start to get too hot. They have the same activity level as the others, so it’s definitely not them just running around crazy.

Just wondering if this is a common thing among silvers or if this is just my group.
I’ve not had issues with my Cayugas panting - the couple of times someone has panted it was easily fixed with them being misted.

Also, I've noticed that they sit oddly. They'll sit on their butt with their legs out front like a human as opposed to the normal duck sit. Out of all my ducks they are the only ones who have done this. Is this a normal thing for them?

Last edited:
I have a group of 3 week old ducklings - 1 Cayuga, 3 buffs, and 3 silvers. I have 7 other cayugas so I’m familiar with their tolerances.
Out of my group, I’ve noticed that my silvers are the first ones to start to get too hot. They have the same activity level as the others, so it’s definitely not them just running around crazy.

Just wondering if this is a common thing among silvers or if this is just my group.
I’ve not had issues with my Cayugas panting - the couple of times someone has panted it was easily fixed with them being misted.

Also, I've noticed that they sit oddly. They'll sit on their butt with their legs out front like a human as opposed to the normal duck sit. Out of all my ducks they are the only ones who have done this. Is this a normal thing for them?
I have a female Muscovy and a male SA and yes, my Appleyard gets hot daily and starts panting and my Muscovy never shows any signs of being hot. I just figured it was because he was heavier than my Muscovy.
20220529_165014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom