Silver appleyard???

Mallardman

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
I was looking at getting some snowy mallards but Ideal is sold out for this year so I am thinking about some silver appleyards bc they are close to the snowy mallards in color which is what drew me' to the snowy mallard and i really want some more ducks this year so what I am wondering is what are silver appleyards like are they loud, how are their temperament, can they fly, are they cold hardy and any other info anyone has about the breed would be great also is holderreads the best place to get some. THANKS

I love my Appleyards. They are my favorite for color in duck breeds. Mine are a placid group, who are great egg layers and fairly quiet in comparison to some of my other girls. Mine dont try to fly, they will flap around but never really get off the ground at all. They would be a great choice in place of snowy mallards.

I thoroughly enjoy the Appleyards. They have wonderful personalities and are quite comical. They are incredible layers of x-large white eggs that don't even fit in a jumbo egg carton! My husband likes their eggs he best. They eat out of my hand and love to be sprayed by the hose. I have heard their meat is restaurant quality and very delicious. I have heard Holderread's has the best strain. That is where mine came from. This year I ordered more so I can hatch some eggs next year and build up my flock. As for noise level, they only quack when I am around, really happy, or to alert of an intruder. My neighbors and I do not consider them loud.

Hope this helps. I have had wonderful experiences with this breed and highly recommend them!

We have mini Appleyards and they are sooooo cute!!! They lay a large egg the size of a large chicken egg but greenish. They give me kisses :) We just LOVE THEM!

Silver Appleyards:
  1. best egg layer of the meat class
  2. meat breed of duck
  3. can not fly even if they wanted to
  4. calm breed
  5. not overly loud, but the females still have that quack

we have a medium sized breeding flock of them and i love how they move. We open their stall in the morning and they walk themselves to the the gate to their daytime yard. In the evenings we open the gate and they head for home and pile into their stall for the night. Took 3 days once we built the stalls for them to learn to routine.

Back
Top Bottom