Silver Duckwing OEGB question. Why are they so NOISY????

azhenhouse

Songster
9 Years
11 Years
Jul 12, 2010
North Eastern Arizona
I have two Silver Duckwing OEGB chicks, and they are so NOISY. Is this normal? I have them in a brooder with two other Bantams that are very quiet, a Wyandotte and Buff Orpington. They were all hatched on April 21, 2011, and were purchased from a breeder. Out of the two OEGB's one is more noisy than the other. In my brooder room I have the brooder box with the Bantams, and a brooder box with ten ducklings. Everyone is so quiet compared to the OEGBs. They are driving me crazy! I keep thinking there is something wrong with them. Their brooder temperature is good. They eat chick starter/grower, have access to grit, and I occasionally give them hard boiled eggs. I add ACV to their drinking water, and just added a vitamin mix to their water today. I don't think there is a problem with their amenities.

I am at the end of my rope trying to figure out what could be wrong. If this is normal behavior for this breed, great! I can certainly live with it. It's just stressful not knowing.

Thanks.

It sounds normal to me. Your oegb should be way more alert and active than your Wyandottes and Buff Orpingtons. That means they will probably be noisier also.

My 2 OEGB duckwings have been really active and noisy from day one. Turns out they're both roos and they try to boss everyone, too, but I think it's just their normal behavior.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I have been doing a little research online, and it seems that this breed is a active and noisy breed. I am just glad to know that there is nothing wrong with them.
smile.png

Quote:
This is good to know. My 9 year old was researching chicken breeds and this is what she wanted to add to our flock.lol I think I will pass and tell her to find another.

We have 2 chicks that I'm pretty sure are OEG bantams also, and they wanted OUT of the brooder.
For the first few weeks we would pick them up and sit on the couch with them and watch TV and they would settle down
and many times go to sleep in the fold of our shirts. Now that they are 6 weeks and outside they want nothing to do
with us. Oh well.

Quote:
That is how ours are. When we hold them they settle down, but as soon as they go back into the brooder it's back to the non-stop chatter. Must be the breed. Well, I hope ours stay affectionate when they go outside. These are my seven year old son's show chickens for 4-H. It kind of helps to have docile chickens.
smile.png
Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom