Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantams

Sc_chickengirl

Beware!?!? Horse Crazy Human on the Loose!
Jan 20, 2022
South Carolina
Hi are these two Show Quality or not show quality? I thought they looked pretty good, but I don't know I've never showed before but would be interested in starting maybe. What do you think?? Any opinions other than my own would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0549 (2).JPG
    IMG_0549 (2).JPG
    983.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0552 (2).JPG
    IMG_0552 (2).JPG
    930 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0550 (2).JPG
    IMG_0550 (2).JPG
    938.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0555 (2).JPG
    IMG_0555 (2).JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0556 (2).JPG
    IMG_0556 (2).JPG
    660.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0557 (2).JPG
    IMG_0557 (2).JPG
    903 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0558 (2).JPG
    IMG_0558 (2).JPG
    717.1 KB · Views: 46
Hi are these two Show Quality or not show quality? I thought they looked pretty good, but I don't know I've never showed before but would be interested in starting maybe. What do you think?? Any opinions other than my own would be appreciated!
Anyone know about these? Show Quality???

The rooster looks pretty good. The markings are good. The rooster's comb would need to be dubbed. Sorry I don't know what age or if age matters on that. Not do know what the markings should be on the hens. I've always paid attention to the roosters. I do think the hen looks good in my own opinion, though more orange in the chest might be better. Again, I've paid more attention to the roosters than the hens.

One thing to know on this breed's color, is I've heard they're hard to get the color right. Like I bred mine, and I got a cockerel with white on the chest, and another with too much gray in the hackles. Yet the father was show quality first year, except for the fact he was allowed to roost too young and wasn't dubbed.

The rooster looks pretty good. The markings are good. The rooster's comb would need to be dubbed. Sorry I don't know what age or if age matters on that. Not do know what the markings should be on the hens. I've always paid attention to the roosters. I do think the hen looks good in my own opinion, though more orange in the chest might be better. Again, I've paid more attention to the roosters than the hens.

One thing to know on this breed's color, is I've heard they're hard to get the color right. Like I bred mine, and I got a cockerel with white on the chest, and another with too much gray in the hackles. Yet the father was show quality first year, except for the fact he was allowed to roost too young and wasn't dubbed.
Thankyou so much for this information! I think the rooster is a little older than the hen but the hen hasn't started laying yet. I'm new to this breed and all I could find online was pictures so I wasn't sure... I'm wondering if they are show quality because I might enter a state fair contest with them in a few months if people think they are show quality.

Thankyou so much for this information! I think the rooster is a little older than the hen but the hen hasn't started laying yet. I'm new to this breed and all I could find online was pictures so I wasn't sure... I'm wondering if they are show quality because I might enter a state fair contest with them in a few months if people think they are show quality.
You're welcome. Ok, something I saw with mine, was the roosters can start crowing much younger than expected. ;) On these, you'd be looking for the standard Silver Duckwing plumage, then the standard Old English Game bantam shape, if that helps in your research. Something else that you might find helpful in your research is the American Standard of Perfection book.

I don't see any reason why not to enter that fair contest if you don't think the comb not being dubbed is a problem. I don't know your State's fair regulations, so it might be a requirement. You'll want to make sure they are cleaned 5 days before the contest, and their nails and beak trimmed if needed. (Some contests require testing of the birds and a minimum of 8 of the breed. You might want to contact them ahead of time to check on the rules, standards and requirements.)

You're welcome. Ok, something I saw with mine, was the roosters can start crowing much younger than expected. ;) On these, you'd be looking for the standard Silver Duckwing plumage, then the standard Old English Game bantam shape, if that helps in your research. Something else that you might find helpful in your research is the American Standard of Perfection book.

I don't see any reason why not to enter that fair contest if you don't think the comb not being dubbed is a problem. I don't know your State's fair regulations, so it might be a requirement. You'll want to make sure they are cleaned 5 days before the contest, and their nails and beak trimmed if needed. (Some contests require testing of the birds and a minimum of 8 of the breed. You might want to contact them ahead of time to check on the rules, standards and requirements.)
Thankyou so much! I will!

I'm going to say no, they are not show quality. Your birds look larger-bodied than they should be and the tail angle and visual ratio of body to tail is off. Your hen's tail is pinched, meaning her tail feathers aren't fanned out as they should be, and her back is much too long. Color's hard to judge because it looks a bit washed out in these pictures, but it does look like your hen has too much white on her front. She also looks brownish instead of gray, but again, that could be the lighting. Your male looks young, so his color is harder to judge and might improve as he fills out. The only thing I can see for sure are a couple darker feathers in his saddle and tail coverts that should be pure white. He would only be required to be dubbed if he's over a year old; if under a year old, his comb, wattles, and earlobes look pretty good. Note that I've only been in the breed for a few years now and this is based on my experience with the birds in that time as well as referencing my 2020 ABA standard book.

That all said, state fairs generally aren't going to fault you much for not being up to the standard unless they are APA or ABA sanctioned, so there's really no reason not to enter them in your state fair. 🙂

Last edited:
I'm going to say no, they are not show quality. Your birds look larger-bodied than they should be and the visual ratio of body to tail is off. Your hen's tail is pinched, meaning her tail feathers aren't fanned out as they should be, and her back is much too long. Color's hard to judge because it looks a bit washed out in these pictures, but it does look like your hen has too much white on her front. She also looks brownish instead of gray, but again, that could be the lighting. Your male looks young, so his color is harder to judge and might improve as he fills out. The only thing I can see for sure are a couple darker feathers in his saddle and tail coverts that should be pure white. He would only be required to be dubbed if he's over a year old; if under a year old, his comb, wattles, and earlobes looks pretty good. Note that I've only been in the breed for a few years now and this is based on my experience with the birds in that time as well as referencing my 2020 ABA standard book.

That all said, state fairs generally aren't going to fault you much for not being up to the standard unless they are APA or ABA sanctioned, so there's really no reason not to enter them in your state fair. 🙂
Oh thankyou! That's very informative! I think they must both be very young I've hardly heard the rooster crow and the hen hasn't laid a egg yet so... They have some time though because the show isn't until October I think but you have to sign up early. I just thought I'd go ahead and see what ya'll think of these.

And I think the colors are a bit off on the pictures. The sun was really bright this morning so I had a hard time trying to get some. She is fairly grey. One time I saw a dove in the yard and mistook it for her lol!
I'm going to say no, they are not show quality. Your birds look larger-bodied than they should be and the tail angle and visual ratio of body to tail is off. Your hen's tail is pinched, meaning her tail feathers aren't fanned out as they should be, and her back is much too long. Color's hard to judge because it looks a bit washed out in these pictures, but it does look like your hen has too much white on her front. She also looks brownish instead of gray, but again, that could be the lighting. Your male looks young, so his color is harder to judge and might improve as he fills out. The only thing I can see for sure are a couple darker feathers in his saddle and tail coverts that should be pure white. He would only be required to be dubbed if he's over a year old; if under a year old, his comb, wattles, and earlobes looks pretty good. Note that I've only been in the breed for a few years now and this is based on my experience with the birds in that time as well as referencing my 2020 ABA standard book.

I figured the lighting was causing some color weirdness in the pictures. Either that or you have the world's first glowing chickens! :p

If they are young, there's a good chance their appearance can improve some as they mature. Odds are against them maturing into show quality specimens, but the fullness of your cockerel's tail should improve for sure, and possibly some coloring things like the white on your pullet's chest. I've noticed that in a few of my younger pullets and it eventually darkened to the proper color.

Back
Top Bottom