Silver Duckwing Welsummers

BaxterCoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Co. Roscommon, Ireland
Hi Guys,
Thought you might like to see my latest additions. We bought a nice looking trio yesterday morning at a Poultry sale held near to us here in Co. Roscommon. I saw these 3 as we arrived, the Silver Duckwings are hard enough to find here in Ireland. They are last years hatching, just starting to lay and the cockerel is unrelated
big_smile.png
Any comments on standard are appreciated.

Hubby could only get a photo of one of the hens 'cos her buddy was camera shy.

Elsewhere we have a breeding set of large Buff Orps, just starting to lay, 3 young Barred Rocks, a beautiful black Orp hen looking for a fella, an odd Black/Buff Orp cross we hatched from egg (supposed to be another Black Orp...) and a dozen Welsummer and 6 Buff Sussex eggs in the 'bator with 18 days to go
fl.gif

It's going to get busy soon
thumbsup.gif

Hope your all having as much fun as we are,

Claire

He is a good looking bird, I really don't like to be the Barer of bad news, but Welsummer have yellow legs and they are not true silver Duckwing they have barring. But he is a great looking young rooster although by now he is two years and probably running the barnyard. With time and a few careful crosses you may be able to get silver welsummers that meet the all the standards and are true breeding out of them. They do have the Welsummer/Rock body type. Rocks and Welsummers are often crossed to get different colour combinations, an example of one such cross, that is becoming it's own standard breed, is the Welbar.

Back
Top Bottom