Silver Geese?

Yes, the gander has it in both wings and one of the geese has it bad in her left wing. We taped them and put them on strictly alfalfa diet, nothing worked. They don't seem to mind so we don't worry about it too much.

Quote:
It doesnt seem to bother my gander as well but I dont want to breed him
sad.png
I am getting another pair next year and cross my fingers THEY dont get angel wing

What did your female goslings from Holderread's look like this year? All yellow?

I'm no color genetics expert, but based only on your pictures I'm inclined to think your order was not properly filled. All of the females pictured and labeled as this year's HWF batch look buff. Your older, breeder sourced female is Lavender, though has some buff leakage in that last picture.

As babies the girls all looked lavender, but it's very hard to see a difference between buff and lavender when you don't have any side-by-side to compare. HWF doesn't have any buffs that I've seen so how would they come out buff? The older females feathers only look that buff tone when she's molting. Has anyone else had this happen? The buffs I've seen in person were distinctly darker than ours. Which is typical?

Buff and lavender are two very different colors, you should be able to tell the difference without any side by side comparison. Holderread's don't have buffs anymore, but they did. I'm trying to remember when they sold them off to Metzer's....
hmm.png

There are all different shades of buff. A good apricot is preferable, but there are much lighter shades, too.

It seems like there's some recessive buff if you were to breed buffs and blues together in a certain way, but I can't remember for sure. Maybe someone else can chime in who does know for sure. I don't have the wherewithal to go look it up right now. It wouldn't seem that you would get ALL buffs if it were just a case of accidental breeding/recessive showing back up though. But then the more I think about it it does seem like Holderread's buffs have been gone since 2010 so...

Maybe the white balance or color is off in the photos? They just look buff from here...

Maybe this will help, the white balance isn't great on this picture. But you can see buffs, a lav and blues all in one group here. It's from last fall, as I don't have the blues and lavs anymore, just the buffs but you get the gist. The lavender is dead center in the picture, up front. There are two blues in the background. The rest of the geese in the picture are buffs.

4976272811_42191f1c42_z.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another. The Lav is out in front, two blues towards the back of the pack in the background, the rest are buffs.

4976278193_cdfe855063_z.jpg

Did you say that you mated your Blue Gander to your Lavander and got 50% Blues and 50% Lavanders like their parents? That appears to prove their colours and that your Blue male does not carry Buff.

Are all the Buffs fermales? If so you could mate a Blue male to a Buff female then you should get 50% Blues and 50% greys in equal sex ratios. (If the Buff was a Lavander like your old one then its 50% Blues and 50% Lavanders).

However if the ?Buffs also have a Blue gene then you'd get;

25% Lavander, 50% Blues and 25% Greys.

Hope that helps

Pete
wink.png

There are greys in this breed too? AHH!
barnie.gif

So if they are

Buff het Blue X with Blue = 1/4 Lav, 1/2 Blue, 1/4 Grey

OR

Lav X Blue = 1/2 Blue, 1/2 Lav

I get the feeling "Murphy" will play with me and not give me any greys, but less lav than blue. Grrr. At least, I have two females to work with.

For discussion's sake, where do creams come in? Also, will they grey be the same grey as my Cotton Patch or darker like a Toulousse?

Anyone ever gotten Buffs from HWF before? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one. Maybe no one noticed because they are super light Buff if that's what it is.

Back
Top Bottom