Silver gene paint silkies

Lol ya me too.
Paints are just one copy of dominate white over black. But some have paints with white over blue. And you can do chocolate, lavender, etc also.
I don't know what black "splits" mean. Theres nothing in paint breeding to be split to.
Every bird is either silver or gold based but it doesn't matter in a black, blue etc color because neither would be showing. And Idk how you would know which your hatching on black, blue or paint chicks.
You do have blue and it didn't come from a straight paint or paint x black breeding. One of its parents had to be carrying and showing blue (or splash).
How can you make a chocolate paint?

How can you make a chocolate paint?
Breed a chocolate rooster to a paint hen and you'll get about 50% chocolate paint pullets and 50% chocolate pullets. The cockerels will be paints and blacks but carry chocolate.
Breed the chocolate paint pullets to any of the cockerels or back to the chocolate rooster and you'll get some chocolate paints of both sexes.
Or better yet breed a chocolate rooster to a white from paint breeding hen. Do the same as above but it'll increase your odds because all the first cross offspring will be chocolate paints or paints.

Hey y’all,

I hatched out some paint eggs last spring. I got the normal paint, white, and black. But two of the chicks came out silver. One was more creamy and ended up turning white. The other turned silver/grey(I don’t really understand the difference). Is she considered lavender? Or just grey? I asked the breeder who said they probably had two silver genes. So I have a paint rooster and the grey hen plus paint hens. I have been hatching babies and most of my blacks hatch out with a silver sheen. Some hatch out pure black and I assume those are the ones from my paints. So my question is, are the blacks that hatch from my grey hen, splits? If I breed a rooster back to her, can I get pretty grey babies?
chicken genetics confuse me to no end! 😅 I would just love to have another silkie with her coloring!
thanks!
Pictures of said girl attached!
If that is lavender, the black roos would be splits. 50% of chicks would be lavender. If she is blue 25% of the chicks would be blue the rest would be black. The real test would be breeding the offspring back. If the color is lavender, all chicks from lavender x lavender will be lavender. If the color is blue, blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom