Silver Gene

I would like to show some of my silvers. These two are definitely silvers: Photo Oct 23, 6 07 33 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 23, 6 04 41 PM.jpg
Here is I think a silver and gold (silver X Italian):
Photo Oct 23, 6 05 23 PM.jpg Photo Oct 23, 6 05 20 PM.jpg
And then this all-white bird (homozygous silver?):
Photo Oct 23, 6 08 18 PM.jpg

How is it that the silver gene can generate so many colors even within (silverXpharro)? Is it the color variation of silver up to the pattern it modifies? For example, the first bird is a (silverXpharro) but it has a messy, splotchy pattern of light and dark silver. The second bird is also (silverXpharro) if you look closely at the patterning, yet its silver patterning is much less messy.

I believe the variation stems from silver being incomplete dominant, so some of the other genes bleed thru and affect the overall look.

As far as homozygous silver, I ordered snowies from Myshire, and only 14 of 39 chicks were snowy. Of the snowies, 1/3 are blind, and it’s the most white ones it seems. I also have one who is very small and not growing feathers, and one with a head deformity, both the very white ones. So I’m guessing they are homozygous for silver. They have some silver, or at least a bit of silvery sheen, I think next to a Texas A&M or English white, they would have bit different look. But this is just a guess.

I got three silvers (maybe? sorry I'm not the best with color names) out of six chicks in our first hatch of our own, like the one in my profile pic, from a solid white one and a wild color. I don't know their previous genes as they were ebay and other online breeder eggs so that part is a mystery. Unfortunately they were all boys though, so once winter is over I can't keep them.
View attachment 2386573Here one is as a chick, hope that helps!

Edit: idk why the picture didnt work here it is again
1603637600740.png

I believe the variation stems from silver being incomplete dominant, so some of the other genes bleed thru and affect the overall look.

As far as homozygous silver, I ordered snowies from Myshire, and only 14 of 39 chicks were snowy. Of the snowies, 1/3 are blind, and it’s the most white ones it seems. I also have one who is very small and not growing feathers, and one with a head deformity, both the very white ones. So I’m guessing they are homozygous for silver. They have some silver, or at least a bit of silvery sheen, I think next to a Texas A&M or English white, they would have bit different look. But this is just a guess.
Update: it turns out 3 of the chicks are albino so the blindness is caused by that, which is probably inbreeding, not the fault of the silver gene, but silver is still iffy I think.

Last edited:
I got three silvers (maybe? sorry I'm not the best with color names) out of six chicks in our first hatch of our own, like the one in my profile pic, from a solid white one and a wild color. I don't know their previous genes as they were ebay and other online breeder eggs so that part is a mystery. Unfortunately they were all boys though, so once winter is over I can't keep them.
View attachment 2386573Here one is as a chick, hope that helps!

Edit: idk why the picture didnt work here it is again View attachment 2386576
Your solid white probably has the silver gene. If you keep breeding it to the wild one, you will probably eventually get a female.

Your solid white probably has the silver gene. If you keep breeding it to the wild one, you will probably eventually get a female.
I want a female silver soooo badly!!! The grey boys are so mean, I'm not sure if its the competition or if they're just like that :idunno. We have some eggs in the incubator rn so I'm hoping some actually hatch this time instead of all of them (yes I do mean every. single. one. ) exploding... apparently I have to clean the incubator, whoops. The color genes are really interesting to me, but there are sooo many names of colors! I hope you get the color you want!

-Also, I'm not a breeder, they're just pets so I don't control who is together, but we had a raccoon break in (never underestimate the raccoons!!!) so we decided to hatch out some of their eggs as a 'back up' and got some crazy colors.

Sorry for the late reply, it's midterm season for me . . . @FloorCandy I'm sorry about your sick chicks. Have you talked to Zack about your snowies?

I talked to Zack Green from Myshire through his Livestream. He said the white birds he will rarely get from his silvers are albinos and they always have health issues.

Sorry for the late reply, it's midterm season for me . . . @FloorCandy I'm sorry about your sick chicks. Have you talked to Zack about your snowies?

I talked to Zack Green from Myshire through his Livestream. He said the white birds he will rarely get from his silvers are albinos and they always have health issues.
I did speak with him through email, and he gave me a refund of my purchase.

So far 2 of the albinos are healthy, 1 is not even blind yet, and the other is healthy, other than the bulging eye. I may keep them as house quail, their blind antics are pretty funny. I’ve considered making a thread to follow the adventures of my 3 albinos.

Back
Top Bottom