Silver-Laced Breed for the Heat?

What comb types do they have?

I'll have to wait a few days or a week to be sure. They're from Monday's hatch and I can't even *really* see the combs on the California Whites yet.

Not sure if I'm the only person who ever hoped for a single-combed Wyandotte before. :D

I'll have to wait a few days or a week to be sure. They're from Monday's hatch and I can't even *really* see the combs on the California Whites yet.
Rose combs are so much wider than single combs, I've been able to see the difference on just-arrived chicks, if I pick them up and look at the head. Sometimes I can see it if I just sit by the brooder and watch them for a while.

Not sure if I'm the only person who ever hoped for a single-combed Wyandotte before. :D
I would be too. I like the laced feathers, but not the rose combs.

Rose combs are so much wider than single combs, I've been able to see the difference on just-arrived chicks, if I pick them up and look at the head. Sometimes I can see it if I just sit by the brooder and watch them for a while.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with what they *ought* to look like at this age. I've only raised 2 Wyandotte chicks before and was so sick this spring with my crossbreeds that I wasn't able to make regular, intentional observations with the crossbreeds.

I'm sure I'll know by next week. :)

I don't mind the look of a rose comb, but I see a difference in how the Wyandotte, the Dominique, and the rose-combed Opington x Wyandotte girls handle the worst of the summer heat.

I didn't expect to fall so hard for the Australorps. :D

I'm not sufficiently familiar with what they *ought* to look like at this age. I've only raised 2 Wyandotte chicks before and was so sick this spring with my crossbreeds that I wasn't able to make regular, intentional observations with the crossbreeds.

I'm sure I'll know by next week. :)
I think if you pick up chicks and start looking at their heads, the difference will be pretty obvious.

Here's a page with photos of Wyandotte chicks:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyandChix.html
Even on the youngest of them, when you look straight from the front, you can see the comb looks like a flat, bare spot at the top of the beak.

I agree that you will probably know by next week.

I think if you pick up chicks and start looking at their heads, the difference will be pretty obvious.

Here's a page with photos of Wyandotte chicks:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyandChix.html
Even on the youngest of them, when you look straight from the front, you can see the comb looks like a flat, bare spot at the top of the beak.

I agree that you will probably know by next week.

Thanks. The photos are helpful.

So, I've ordered SLWs in my Ideal order to arrive next week and will have at least a casual stab at creating a single-combed, Australorp-adjacent bird with this color pattern.
Be sure to post pictures of the results! I'm a traditionalist, and a big fan of the good old single comb. The other types just look like different shapes of tumors to me :lol:

I only have limited experience with non-single combs, and from what I remember from last year's brood, the chicks that ended up with rose/pea combs didn't have any points when they were chicks, it was just flat on top. I just hatched a bunch of Lavender Orpingtons a couple of days ago, and interestingly (disappointingly) some of them have completely flat combs, like flat against the head and smooth, while the rest have very visible little points. I want to keep 1 or 2 from this batch, and I'll be so disappointed if for some reason my favorites end up with "tumor combs" :lol: They squirm too much for close-up pictures, but I'll try to get some.

There are 4 of the SLW chicks. Unfortunately, 2 of them are quite hard to tell apart, being medium in color and about the same pattern. Then there is a noticeably lighter one and a nearly black one.

I *think* I can see that flat spot you mentioned on the lightest one and one of the medium ones. But I took a lot of head shots as best I could.

What do y'all think of this one? Maybe a single?

0525221445a_HDR.jpg

I don't know that this photo of the nearly black one is clear enough. Of course they WILL NOT hold still for portraits. :D
0525221445b.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if this is 3 shots of the same one or 2 shots of one and 1 of the other, but I think they show that flat spot. All the other photos are too blurry.

0525221442b.jpg
0525221443c_HDR.jpg
0525221445_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 0525221442.jpg
    0525221442.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 0525221443a_HDR.jpg
    0525221443a_HDR.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 0525221445a.jpg
    0525221445a.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1
There are 4 of the SLW chicks. Unfortunately, 2 of them are quite hard to tell apart, being medium in color and about the same pattern. Then there is a noticeably lighter one and a nearly black one.

I *think* I can see that flat spot you mentioned on the lightest one and one of the medium ones. But I took a lot of head shots as best I could.

What do y'all think of this one? Maybe a single?
Yes, the first picture looks like a single comb to me.

I'm not 100% sure if this is 3 shots of the same one or 2 shots of one and 1 of the other, but I think they show that flat spot. All the other photos are too blurry.
I see one flat spot (rose comb), and I'm not sure about the others (blurry).

Back
Top Bottom