Silver laced wyandotte hen or roo?

HelloSteph

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hello. I came on here weeks ago and was advised to wait a bit longer to determine gender. Unfortunately cannot keep a rooster and these two were purchased as pullets, they will be 8 weeks tomorrow. I have an opportunity on Sunday to rehome the suspected rooster. Is it absolutely clear that I have one hen and one rooster?

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Could it be two? Any feelings on the other one?
I think the other is probably a pullet, but I would not be entirely sure for quite a while yet.

The early developing males are easy to spot (you've got one.)
But some males, even in the same breed, develop much more slowly. That means they can look like pullets for a long time. So I am always hesitant to declare a chicken "female" on the basis of small/pale comb & wattles. The best I can say for now is that the one with a small comb is "probably" a female.

I think the other is probably a pullet, but I would not be entirely sure for quite a while yet.

But some males, even in the same breed, develop much more slowly. That means they can look like pullets for a long time. So I am always hesitant to declare a chicken "female" on the basis of small/pale comb & wattles. The best I can say for now is that the one with a small comb is "probably" a female.
Have to agree. 😊

I just didn't want to rehome the one I've always suspected as a rooster if there was ANY chance it could be female. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, I'm learning :).

Back
Top Bottom