1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte- Hen or Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunkissed, Mar 11, 2015.

What do you think?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2015.
  1. Hen

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Roo

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. sunkissed

sunkissed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    AUSTIN
    I would love your vote! She or He is 2 weeks old and a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That is a lot of pink comb for two weeks, would be keeping an eye on that one as a potential cockerel.

3. sunkissed

Mar 31, 2011
    AUSTIN
    He/She might be a bit older. He/She is almost double the size of the Barred Rock that she is supposed to be the same age as. Tail feathers came in early. Neck/Cape feathers are just starting to come in.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards pullet, but the comb is a little red for the age.

5. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I voted that I thought the chick looked like a rooster more than a hen. But at two weeks it's difficult to know, although I've had plenty of rose and walnut combed chicks around here over the years.

However, I'm guessing that you think the chick could be a rooster also, or you probably wouldn't have asked for other opinions. ????

I certainly don't know your complete situation, so the following comments are totally off the cuff and probably don't apply to you ... after all you've been a BYC member here for 3 years. You may have a bunch of other chicks running around for all I know. That's my disclaimer. [​IMG]

If I only had two chicks that were both 2 weeks old and one was looking like (yours) it might be a male, I would run to the farm store and get me another little female chick as quick as I could. If the new chick is about 3-4 days old or even up to 3 weeks old, it will be easier to integrate now. I know if this happened to me at 5 weeks, I would be in a pickle because finding 5-week-old female chicks is next to impossible any time of year ... around here anyway. Take my comments for what they're worth.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards pullet, but it is a little young to be sure.

7. sunkissed

Mar 31, 2011
    AUSTIN
    Thanks. I overbought, just in case some turned out to be Roos. I needed 3 and have 5. I do not have another Wyandotte to compare it to though and I will be sad if my only one is a Roo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  8. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I like how you think! [​IMG]

It would have been funny if you had managed to get a Java chicken and named it Java. [​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet.

10. sunkissed

Mar 31, 2011
    AUSTIN
    Ok, I thought it would be a good time for an update. Here are the latest pictures from this weekend. She/He carries her/his tail low sometimes, but I caught a few when it was up. This Wyandotte is almost 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by