Silver Laced Wyandotte- Hen or Roo

What do you think?

• Hen

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Roo

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is a lot of pink comb for two weeks, would be keeping an eye on that one as a potential cockerel.

He/She might be a bit older. He/She is almost double the size of the Barred Rock that she is supposed to be the same age as. Tail feathers came in early. Neck/Cape feathers are just starting to come in.

Last edited:
I voted that I thought the chick looked like a rooster more than a hen. But at two weeks it's difficult to know, although I've had plenty of rose and walnut combed chicks around here over the years.

However, I'm guessing that you think the chick could be a rooster also, or you probably wouldn't have asked for other opinions. ????

I certainly don't know your complete situation, so the following comments are totally off the cuff and probably don't apply to you ... after all you've been a BYC member here for 3 years. You may have a bunch of other chicks running around for all I know. That's my disclaimer.
gig.gif

If I only had two chicks that were both 2 weeks old and one was looking like (yours) it might be a male, I would run to the farm store and get me another little female chick as quick as I could. If the new chick is about 3-4 days old or even up to 3 weeks old, it will be easier to integrate now. I know if this happened to me at 5 weeks, I would be in a pickle because finding 5-week-old female chicks is next to impossible any time of year ... around here anyway. Take my comments for what they're worth.

Thanks. I overbought, just in case some turned out to be Roos. I needed 3 and have 5. I do not have another Wyandotte to compare it to though and I will be sad if my only one is a Roo.

Last edited:
Thanks. I overbought, just in case some turned out to be Roos. I needed 3 and have 5. I do not have another Wyandotte to compare it to though and I will be sad if my only one is a Roo.

I like how you think!
wink.png

It would have been funny if you had managed to get a Java chicken and named it Java.
gig.gif

Ok, I thought it would be a good time for an update. Here are the latest pictures from this weekend. She/He carries her/his tail low sometimes, but I caught a few when it was up. This Wyandotte is almost 5 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom