Silver Laced Wyandotte hens X with Gold Laced Wyandotte Rooster

kjc1990

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
North West, Ireland
This might be a silly question...but I'm wondering the colour outcome when Silver Laced Wyandotte hens are crossed with Gold Laced Wyandotte Hens.

and also if Silver Laced Wyandotte hens were crossed with a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster.

Also are the progeny still considering "Full Bred" ? :)

Thanks,

Mikayala

If you're asking about SHOW quality, I do believe they would not qualify as "pure breed"... Even though they are both Wyandotte, the coloring would be a " mutt" ish mix.... But selective breeding, you may very well end up with some beautiful coloring, just for your eyes if anything; and that's actually how new colors are "created" after a few generations ;)

But am I right in thinking that a 100% pure breed Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster bred with a 100% Silver Laced Wyandotte hen will not always have 100% Silver colour.... you'll only get something like 50% and the rest could be gold or buff?

If you breed a pure bred slw to another pure bred slw you should get a slw. Nothing else should be hiding if the birds are purebred.

It's my understanding if you put a glw male over slw hens, you'll get sex linked chicks. Males silver, females gold. I've never tried it, but the sex link thread has those breeds listed.

If you breed a pure bred slw to another pure bred slw you should get a slw. Nothing else should be hiding if the birds are purebred.

It's my understanding if you put a glw male over slw hens, you'll get sex linked chicks. Males silver, females gold. I've never tried it, but the sex link thread has those breeds listed.

Yep. If your birds are purebred, they will breed true, meaning all babies from purebred stock will also be purebred and look just like SLW, mom and dad :)

Crossing silver and gold, the barring and penciling patterns would get commingled and the chicks would be assorted combinations unless characteristics are sex specific.. I did not know that they could be sex linked that way, so that's interesting to know...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom