Silver Laced Wyandotte x Buff Orpington

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
Two of my Buff Orpington girls, Cheddar and Biscuit, have been with Diego, my Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster and he's probably going to be the father of the chicks.
I put some of Cheddar and Biscuit's eggs in the incubator and I'm wondering what the chicks would look like.?
They would Buff Orpington hen crossed with a Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster.
So my questions are....

1. Diego has a Single Comb and so do the Buff Orpingtons - Would the chicks have a single comb or carry the gene of the Wyandotte?
2. What would they look like?
3. Have anyone else ever bred them before?
4. Any other details you want to add or have... please share!

Thanks for your help!

@JedJackson @MysteryChicken - You two are pretty knowledgeable about these things!

The rose comb gene is dominant, so if your Wyandotte rooster does not have a rose comb, he does not carry the genes for it and neither will his offspring. All will have single combs.

You are crossing a silver male to gold females, so that should result in silver daughters and gold/silver split sons. This is because the gene for silver is sexlinked, so the male passes silver to all of his offspring, but the female only passes gold to her sons. More than likely the females will be mostly white with some patchy incomplete-lacing-like markings or partial columbian patterning. The males much the same, but yellowish instead of white. You most likely will not be able to tell them apart accurately at hatch, however, because the males should look just as silvery as the females up until they start feathering in.

Since the pinkish / white skin of the Orpington is dominant over the yellow skin of the Wyandotte, all should have pinkish or white skin, possibly with a tinge of yellow.

I have not done this cross before, myself, but have seen pictures of birds from such a cross. They make for some pretty mixes! 🙂

Two of my Buff Orpington girls, Cheddar and Biscuit, have been with Diego, my Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster and he's probably going to be the father of the chicks.
I put some of Cheddar and Biscuit's eggs in the incubator and I'm wondering what the chicks would look like.?
They would Buff Orpington hen crossed with a Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster.
So my questions are....

1. Diego has a Single Comb and so do the Buff Orpingtons - Would the chicks have a single comb or carry the gene of the Wyandotte?
2. What would they look like?
3. Have anyone else ever bred them before?
4. Any other details you want to add or have... please share!

Thanks for your help!

@JedJackson @MysteryChicken - You two are pretty knowledgeable about these things!
Just wanted to say those are the cutest names!!

The rose comb gene is dominant, so if your Wyandotte rooster does not have a rose comb, he does not carry the genes for it and neither will his offspring. All will have single combs.

You are crossing a silver male to gold females, so that should result in silver daughters and gold/silver split sons. This is because the gene for silver is sexlinked, so the male passes silver to all of his offspring, but the female only passes gold to her sons. More than likely the females will be mostly white with some patchy incomplete-lacing-like markings or partial columbian patterning. The males much the same, but yellowish instead of white. You most likely will not be able to tell them apart accurately at hatch, however, because the males should look just as silvery as the females up until they start feathering in.

Since the pinkish / white skin of the Orpington is dominant over the yellow skin of the Wyandotte, all should have pinkish or white skin, possibly with a tinge of yellow.

I have not done this cross before, myself, but have seen pictures of birds from such a cross. They make for some pretty mixes! 🙂
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom