Silver Laced Wyondotte Pullet or Roo?

Cel45

Songster
Oct 28, 2015
Houston, Tx
Hello all!! I have been trying to decide myself, but I go back and forth. I am leaning toward roo. This bird is 8 weeks old. It seems to have a pullet shaped head to me, but the wattles and comb are developing. This bird is very pecky even to my grown girls. He/she will jump up at my 9 week old Australorp when she is on the perch. The woman I bought them from will trade this bird for a pullet if it turns out to be a roo, since I can't have one here. I have uploaded several pics. What do you all think?

I'm absolutely no expert... But i've read several in places that when a laced chick shows not very defined (by that i mean "laced" feathers) colors wich is characteristic to the pullets of the breed, well it's more likely a rooster, and as i can see his back and nech feathers are not well "laced", more like painted, wich might indicate it's unfortunately a cockerel :( HOWEVER i am nooo expert on breeds and I really hope it's a pullet! And I'll wait for someone with a better idea of what he's talking about to stop by and give advice!
Best of luck and keep us posted! :)

I'm not sure, the wattles look awfully large, but the comb looks too small to be a cockerel. Based on pics on google images, I am leaning towards pullet.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely no expert... But i've read several in places that when a laced chick shows not very defined (by that i mean "laced" feathers) colors wich is characteristic to the pullets of the breed, well it's more likely a rooster, and as i can see his back and nech feathers are not well "laced", more like painted, wich might indicate it's unfortunately a cockerel
sad.png
HOWEVER i am nooo expert on breeds and I really hope it's a pullet! And I'll wait for someone with a better idea of what he's talking about to stop by and give advice!
Best of luck and keep us posted!
smile.png

X 2 for a roo

I'm absolutely no expert... But i've read several in places that when a laced chick shows not very defined (by that i mean "laced" feathers) colors wich is characteristic to the pullets of the breed, well it's more likely a rooster, and as i can see his back and nech feathers are not well "laced", more like painted, wich might indicate it's unfortunately a cockerel
sad.png
HOWEVER i am nooo expert on breeds and I really hope it's a pullet! And I'll wait for someone with a better idea of what he's talking about to stop by and give advice!
Best of luck and keep us posted!
smile.png

Thanks, I hope it is a pullet, but if not, back he goes.

I'm not sure, the wattles look awfully large, but the comb looks too small to be a cockerel. Based on pics on google images, I am leaning towards pullet.

Thnx BantamFan, I hope you are right, it would be easier. If it is pullet, she is destined to be top dog. She is not afraid of any chicken, no matter the size!

Back
Top Bottom