Silver or Gold Lacing

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Im not sure where to put this topic. Does anyone understand the genetics of silver or gold lacing, such as wyandottes? If you breed a silver or gold laced bird to a solid colored bird, what will you get? Is the lacing sex linked? Is it a dominant or recessive trait?

Okay, this is all over my head right now, but I had bookmarked these two pages in the past because they are full of information.
http://home.ezweb.com.au/~kazballea/genetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern
http://marsa_sellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page2.html#t1

Here are some pictures of my SLW crosses
These are both female. The back one is a Leghorn X SLW, the gray one is SilkieXSLW
2300502017_9640d7cacf.jpg

You can't tell from the picture, but the white one has some black spots.

I believe this is the has the same parents as the white one, the only difference is that he was a male.
2180763483_9b2cdc5891.jpg

Does anyone else have SLW or GLW crosses?

Thanks for moving this post to where it belonged.

Oh, thats very interesting, Josie. Was the silver laced wyandotte the mom or the pop?

The other two had a SLW mother.
The picture on top was from this week, the one of the boy was from the first week of Jan. I just gave away the boy, so I can't show a picture of him now, but he had the same tail as the girl, just larger, and bulkier through the chest.

I wish I could be more help, but I just don't know.
I thought I had read somewhere that the coloring of the father is most times passed to the daughters and the coloring of the mothers are passed to the sons, but I think that it pertained only to certain crossings, and for the life of me, I can't find that source again.
I know other people must have a better grasp of this than I do.

Very short answer.. good lacing is due to several different genes, not just one. There's no specific "lace" gene. The various genes are either recessive, sex linked, semi- dominant and so on.

The main difference between gold and silver laced is that silver laced have the Silver gene(which is sex linked btw). But it's not that simple, as there are also other genes that "clean up" the silver for a whiter bird with less or no brassiness or some brown/red showing up somewhere(especially on the wing bows of roosters it seems).

Josie, I suspect you're thinking of Sex linked genes.

As for breeding to solid colored birds, it completely depends on what the solid colored bird is. If it's a solid black based on the E (extended black) which is dominant so most of the babies will turn out black.. the adults may have some brown or white striping or lacing on the breast/neck/

If the solid bird is white.. that is also very dependent on which white it is.. there's two- Dominant White and Recessive white. And then again it also very much depends on exactly what the white birds have "underneath that white".

Quite complicated question, that one is.
smile.png

Last edited:
When we bred SL roo to dun hens, the cockerels had quite a bit of lacing, the pullets were mostly solid with some white in the flight feathers. We crossed those pullets back to a SL and have chicks that have the lacing of a hatchery bird, so we are thinking one more cross back to SL and the lacing should be cleaned up. We have crossed SL hens to blue laced red roos and got sexlinks, the males were SL and the hens were BLR, both varieties were very 'leaky' meaning that the SL had lots of red and the BLR had some white.

Back
Top Bottom