Silver Pheasant rooster sitting on eggs?

Here's a picture from today. Still faithfully on the eggs.

IMG_4036.JPG

Is your hen still laying eggs?I had a temmnick male set and hatch and an Edwards male that kinda adopted a swinhoe chick that kept going into his pen.I got sick of chasing the chick around to but him with his parents and the Edwards would attack me so I left then alone and he raised the. Swinhoe until she was adult size and he still tried to attack when I took her out.In N.H.,Tony.

Is your hen still laying eggs?I had a temmnick male set and hatch and an Edwards male that kinda adopted a swinhoe chick that kept going into his pen.I got sick of chasing the chick around to but him with his parents and the Edwards would attack me so I left then alone and he raised the. Swinhoe until she was adult size and he still tried to attack when I took her out.In N.H.,Tony.
She's still laying, I happened to see the rooster on his break the other day and saw there are now 5 eggs. Today the hen was trying to join him in the nest to lay again so I made a similar nest in the other corner of the barn, and it worked! Just hoping that her new eggs will still be fertile.

Very cool how your Temminck does the same thing. Does your Temminck hen keep laying after the rooster sets?

That only happened that 1 year.The next year she laid 3 and began to set,he would sit on the edge of the basket and wait for her to get off,but she didn't get off for 2 weeks and he gave up after a few days.
I wouldn't try messing with his chicks if they hatch,I'm sure he has some nice sharp Spurs.
Make sure there are no holes anywhere in your pen,if there is the little buggers will find it and they may not return!
Do you have any other breeds?
In N.H.,Tony.

That only happened that 1 year.The next year she laid 3 and began to set,he would sit on the edge of the basket and wait for her to get off,but she didn't get off for 2 weeks and he gave up after a few days.
I wouldn't try messing with his chicks if they hatch,I'm sure he has some nice sharp Spurs.
Make sure there are no holes anywhere in your pen,if there is the little buggers will find it and they may not return!
Do you have any other breeds?
In N.H.,Tony.
He does have very sharp spurs, he's three years old now. Do the spurs keep growing in silver pheasants throughout their life?

Thanks for the heads up, the pen is very secure so they should be okay.

There was a new development today though, the hen had gone broody yesterday on the new nest and when I checked on them today they had switched places. I think the first nest (that the rooster was originally on) has 5 or 6 eggs and the other has either 1 or 2. I guess its all good as long as each nest has one of them on it.

No, only Silvers as far as pheasants.

Are pheasants prone to flying the coop, or can you keep them free range? TSC has a bunch of pheasant Chicks for $3.99 each, but but I don't want to pay for them, just to have them haul tail, and pay for hunters to get the meat. Wth?

Are pheasants prone to flying the coop, or can you keep them free range? TSC has a bunch of pheasant Chicks for $3.99 each, but but I don't want to pay for them, just to have them haul tail, and pay for hunters to get the meat. Wth?

Pheasants will fly. You can't just free range them like chickens. If you got some, you'd need an enclosed coop.

Back
Top Bottom