silver sebright rooster or crossbreed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by johninluray, Jul 3, 2011.

1. johninluray

johninluray Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    luray
    got him from tractor supply in march...comb is different then the other rooster..Any ideas what he could be?..thanks..John

[​IMG]

2. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    purebred silver sebright rooster

3. johninluray

johninluray Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    luray
    ok thanks..my other silver sebright has a rosecomb..thought that was what they were suppose to have..

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They are supposed to have rosecombs, but his feathering and stance is typical of a Seabright.

5. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    He is likely still purebred despite his straight comb, this is typical of some hatcheries. What often happens is that rosecomb birds have lower fertility than those with straight combs, as the one your sebright has, so the hatchery breeds some straight comb birds in their flock to get a higher hatch rate. Hope this helps.

6. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Even with the single comb he is still very nice with great lacing. [​IMG]

7. MarvinCarman

MarvinCarman New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    Tractor Supply buys most of their chicks from Ideal Poultry in Texas, and Ideal has created both Silver Laced Old English and Golden Laced Old English. From the stance of your bird and his comb, I think this is what you have.

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK

OEGBs are not hen feathered though and Sebrights are. This bird is hen feathered so would be a Sebright.

9. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    It is a seabright, sometimes the recessive single comb gene pops out just like it does in silkies every so often.I raised seabrights for a while and that is one beautiful rooster you have.

10. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    [​IMG]This is one of my hens, she is a little chunky cause she loves to eat and she has her feathers ruffled out some because it's in the 40's here.She lays an egg everyday during summer. small egg but she is super sweet but flighty. She is 2 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by