Silver spangled hamburg comb not growing

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
My 14-week old silver spangled hamburg appears to have just a flat space where her comb should be. Mo other two babies are starting have their combs oink up, but hers is very flat and lacks any pigment really. I will try to get a pic to attach later today, but has anyone ever seen something like that?

Having a similar issue with one of my spangled Hamburg girls. One of them has a nice red comb and has started laying (about 6 mo old). The other one, same age raised with all my other 6mo old chickens, has little to no comb at all at this point. She is starting to get tiny wattles but no comb at all really. Is this typical for Hamburgs?

I had a similar experience. I got 4 Hamburg pullets as day old chicks in February, along with several other breeds. The Hamburgs were the slowest to mature & start laying, and 1 of the 4 didn't develop a comb or wattle until at least a month later than the other 3 (maybe 7-8 months old?). All 4 finally started laying and all have full red combs & wattles, although 2 of the 4 are still small pullet eggs at 9 months old. I've heard they lay productively for a very long time (e.g. 7-8 years), so maybe it just takes a little longer for them to get started...

I thought I would chime in and ask those experienced. Here are pics of Pearl. She is one of the first 3 hens we bought in Dec 2020 (the other 2 are BantamX). This standing pic is from mid April, the sitting from the end of Aug 2021, and she looks the same. The seller said they were all laying, but that was not true. I have no idea how old she was when we bought her and I am a bit afraid that she was m-u-c-h younger than told (i.e wrong feed, etc).
Needless to say, she is not laying, and really not growing much. Though she is larger than when we got her. I am going to believe what was said above that she is a slow grower. I just hope I did not stunt her growth by not taking care of her properly as a baby. Good thing she is very pretty (!!) otherwise I think we would have gotten rid of her. She can be a bit of a bully.
Pearl110421b.jpg
Pearl280821.JPG

@NZChookdom
My hamburg hen, Fanny, is over a year old now and she has barley and comb at all. She doesn't look that much different than the pics you shared, just has a tiny bit more of a comb but not much She is a bully too. My other hamburg hen, Wilma, has a big bright red comb - they are the same age and I got them at the same time, fed the same, raised the same etc. Hamburgs (at least my two) seem to be built a little different than other breeds and seem a little more on the slight side - not as wide and fluffy as some other breeds. They were also labeled as silver laced wyandottes when I got them, which is clearly very much not the case (I have two gold laced wyandottes and there is no way they are even close to the same breed). Just my 2c

I have one who was hatched 24 of July, all of a sudden, her comb and waddles are bright red. It really shocked me. Then I notice a small soft-shell jelly type egg this morning. I think it's her's. WOW. She's 5 months, can it be her's? the other different breeds have been regular for a month now no soft eggs.

I thought I would chime in and ask those experienced. Here are pics of Pearl. She is one of the first 3 hens we bought in Dec 2020 (the other 2 are BantamX). This standing pic is from mid April, the sitting from the end of Aug 2021, and she looks the same. The seller said they were all laying, but that was not true. I have no idea how old she was when we bought her and I am a bit afraid that she was m-u-c-h younger than told (i.e wrong feed, etc).
Needless to say, she is not laying, and really not growing much. Though she is larger than when we got her. I am going to believe what was said above that she is a slow grower. I just hope I did not stunt her growth by not taking care of her properly as a baby. Good thing she is very pretty (!!) otherwise I think we would have gotten rid of her. She can be a bit of a bully.View attachment 2838990View attachment 2838980
What are you feeding her?

Back
Top Bottom