Silver Wyandotte rooster x ??? hens

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
I have a wonderful rooster and want to order new chicks so that I can later hatch eggs with sexlink chicks.

4EA54882-C70F-4368-9817-5A8059A791F5.jpeg
So, what hens with a silver laced wyandotte rooster will produce 100% sexlink chicks???

Yes, I've tried the calculator, but it does not provide reliable info for identifying male vs. female chicks at hatching. Hoping someone has tried a match with a silver laced wyandotte rooster and produced recognizable chicks that can be separated with 100% accuracy at hatch.:jumpy

So after plugging common colors in, I think buff is the color you want, it would result in Buff cockerels with some lacing and white pullets with some lacing.
Yes, I've tried the calculator, but it does not provide reliable info for identifying male vs. female chicks at hatching. Hoping someone has tried a match with a silver laced wyandotte rooster and produced recognizable chicks that can be separated with 100% accuracy at hatch.:jumpy
How is not reliable? I'm just asking because I use it to cheat at genetics all the time.

The chart gives you the percentage color for pullets and cockerels, but as we all know the baby fuzz is usually a much different color than the adult plumage. I attached an example that seems to show that pullets and cockerels would look differently, but who knows what day old chicks might look??

I don't vent sex chicks and if I sell them locally, it would be great to have unique (yes, mutts) colored chicks that are sexlinked instead of what the feed store offers such as red stars and black sexlinks.

I can sell silver wyandotte chicks from my male and females, but I won't be able to determine their sex as babies. If there is a breed of hen that when added to my wyandotte rooster that will make chicks that are all one color for the males and all different colors for the females;
727A9D11-4321-42B8-93A9-0951F0EAA539.jpeg
this would be great.

I'm certain someone in the chicken world has done this. I just can't seem to find the posts on BYC. :idunno

Last edited:
You cannot use that calculator to show what the down color will be. But you can use the first post in this thread to talk about sex linked chicks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/

You cannot use a Silver Laced rooster to make a red sex link. This rooster has silver where he would have to be gold to make a red sex link. A gold rooster over a silver laced hen would give you a red sex link but you did not say you had that.

A Silver Laced rooster over a black barred hen will give you a black sex link. So if you use him over a Barred Rock, Dominique, or Cuckoo Marans hen you will get a black sex link. The boys will have the spot on the head, the girls will not.

Silver over gold creates sexlinks. So glw hens would rirs would as well any red based hens not including sexlinks...or is it the otherway around...male needs to be red over silver hens? I can never remember lol

Silver over gold creates sexlinks. So glw hens would rirs would as well any red based hens not including sexlinks...or is it the otherway around...male needs to be red over silver hens? I can never remember lol
A gold rooster over a silver hen creates red sex links, not the other way around. Try reading the link I put in my other post.

There is another requirement to create a sex link. You have to be able to see the difference in the down at hatch. There are some combinations that fulfill one of those requirements but not the other. To make a black sex link you need a not-barred rooster over a barred hen. But if the other genetics makes the chicks white you cannot see that spot in the down or the barring in the adult plumage.

A buff rooster has gold so if you put a buff rooster over a silver laced Wyandotte hen you will get a red sex link and you should be able to see the color difference in the down. If you put a silver laced rooster over a buff hen you will not be able to see the difference in the down because there will not be any. There may be a difference in adult plumage but not in the down.

A gold rooster over a silver hen creates red sex links, not the other way around. Try reading the link I put in my other post.

There is another requirement to create a sex link. You have to be able to see the difference in the down at hatch. There are some combinations that fulfill one of those requirements but not the other. To make a black sex link you need a not-barred rooster over a barred hen. But if the other genetics makes the chicks white you cannot see that spot in the down or the barring in the adult plumage.

A buff rooster has gold so if you put a buff rooster over a silver laced Wyandotte hen you will get a red sex link and you should be able to see the color difference in the down. If you put a silver laced rooster over a buff hen you will not be able to see the difference in the down because there will not be any. There may be a difference in adult plumage but not in the down.
Ive only bred a blue laced silver rooster over gold laced and got sexlinks wasnt trying to at the time lol and also bred same rooster over barred and got sexlinks

Back
Top Bottom