Silverudd's Blue

Pics
Bravo for your efforts. Previously I had Silverudd Blues and loved the breed. They are well worth the effort you will put into them IMO.

It seems that the ORIGINALS were somewhat different from the ones that GFF subsequently got. The originals (and some of mine were frome Omega Hills, some from a person who got theirs from the First GFF imports)--- The originals had very dark, almost black-lloking eyes that were very luminous. The next ones that GFF farms was selling had yellow eyes.

I always bred Isbar to Isbar with the exception of some Isbar to Cream Legbar crosses, and we called those Ice Cream Bars. There was hybrid vigor they were also great birds.

People who got GFF birds that were probably fairly inbred from the beginning paird brothers and sisters I think, and never made the effort to seek out different genetics. The result was a disaster, the chicks either failed to hatch, hatched very weakly and subsequently died or didn't all grow to adulthood and people abandoned the breed rather than work with it. They were some of my all-time favorite chickens both for beauty and for temperament and the hens were producing huge green eggs with great frequency and the hens were not big food guzzlers. They really 'earned their keep'.

Temperament was outstanding - had one rooster -- hatched in 2014 at Omega Hills and sent to me (July 2014), that did develop respiratory problem his first winter (2014-15). I brought him into a house I had just moved into and he lived in the entry hall rather than outdoors for a long time. Some nights I would be upstairs working on the computer and hear him gurgling and wheezing and think 'he will be dead by morning'. However he lived -- and just died this summer. Perhaps due to time indoors, or being ill and nursed back to health he was amazingly friendly and talkative. He was the very best rooster I've ever had.

A local friend had more Isbars than I had and we worked to source the ones we considered correct (Very dark brown eyes - and confirmation (I should say 'type') of a pretty chicken). Between us, I think that we did improve the hatch rate and health of the chickens we had. My focus was Cream Legbars and not Isbars.

So my long term point is that this breed is well worth work that you would put into it. I'm downsizing chicken activity and have even sold my pens.
:hit

If you get responses -- or even directly PM some of the Isbar owners from the threads (I think there are a couple of threads on either Silverudds blue or Isbar or Blue Isbars -) You may find a network of people working to preserve these genetics. Even Omega Hills if they haven't minded to a large extent diversifying the ones that they have, may be slipping into close breeding -- which is OK sometimes to preserve and promote traits and others can weaken the genetics as GFF claimed they had suspected with their first Isbars, as you say.

For out cross, I'm curious why you selected RIR -- it would add their brown genetics to the egg and deepen the green (as our Ice Cream Bars perhaps reinforced the blue side of the Isbar's green eggs).

At anyrate, if you are able to breed these, and select your hatching, surviving and healthy individuals to pair with quality Isbars (I would seek a private breeder from BYC here if you can locate one that really cares specifically about this breed for either hatching eggs or chicks) -- perhaps you can help preserve the 'true' Isbar. It really would be a worthy effort.
:old
I'm far from an expert, but if I can share any of the experiences I had with this breed and it would be of any help to you -- feel free to PM me.

There is also a product called Denegard that is widely used in the UK and has no egg withdrawal etc. that a vet from Texas A&M told me is the very best treatment for respiratory problems in fowl -- wish I had known about it in the winter of 2014-15 because it probably would have eradicated the respiratory problem of my rooster in a matter of days.

Good luck with your Isbars!:thumbsup

ETA Whoops, just re-read most of this thread and looked at the picts. I should be saying Silverudd's Blue :duc--- and NOW I see why you chose RIR as the outcross. :th

I enjoyed your post and wonder if you happen to have any photos of your icecreambars or their eggs? There’s limited photos online and I am hoping to do this cross in the spring but not sure what they’ll end up looking like....

I enjoyed your post and wonder if you happen to have any photos of your icecreambars or their eggs? There’s limited photos online and I am hoping to do this cross in the spring but not sure what they’ll end up looking like....
I will look for some and PM you since this thread is Silverudd's blue. Also know a person who is putting focus on this cross...and see if she has any photos to share.

I am not sure if anyone is still responding to this thread, but I thought I would give it a try.

I purchased Silverudd's Blue (Isbar) hatching eggs from Omega Hill Farms last year. I loved everything about the breed, except there was one major flaw. They were hit hard with recurring respiratory infections and I believe the rooster I kept ended up with lung damage since he wheezed after every crow.

After doing a bit of research on the breed (not a lot of info out there) I found this on the Greenfire Farms site:

Greenfire Farms first imported this breed from Sweden in 2011. Our Isbars were fertile and produced many chicks, but we believe the birds were closely related and showed some signs of a suppressed immune system that could be linked to inbreeding depression. In 2013, we imported Isbars from unrelated flocks. These birds should allow breeders to mitigate the effects of inbreeding in their flocks.

So, I am guessing the respiratory issues were due to genetics. This year, I bred the rooster to Rhode Island Red hens. The outcome was - 1 cockerel (14 weeks), a second cockerel (10 weeks) and 5 pullets (10 weeks). I recently experienced another respiratory illness that has so far hit 5 out of 7 of my hybrids and 1 has died.

Has anyone out there had similar experience with Silverudd's and respiratory illnesses? Has anyone been able to breed it out?

I've been raising Silverudds since April 2015 and have lost several due to respiratory diseases.
This has helped me, I was told by another Silverudds Breeder to only hatch out and keep the healthy and active chicks that hatch.
So I've quit assisting chicks that had pipped but didn't zip and hatch on their own.
I realized the weaker chicks I helped hatch ended up dying before 1 year with the respiratory disease.
Was also told to wait till at least 1 year or older to breed them, that way you know they can pass off this trait.

Hi! I just hatched out my first Silverudd’s Blue on November 27th so they are three weeks today! I have 2 blues and 4 splash(actually one is a light silver color with darker blue splashes- would that be splash or a poor quality blue??) I’m going to try to attach pics. Is three weeks too young to make a guess on gender? The first pic is my daughters favorite so we are hopping a girl but not sure!
Splash roo or pullet?
27435EE3-87E0-4CC3-BE32-1960BBFED148.jpeg
This blue a roo??
23FDA8A0-AD08-4B67-AE42-9E3A5265C8A5.jpeg
this blue a pullet?
197ADC86-1846-4EEB-B392-CE4451AB8736.jpeg
this is the chick I’m not sure about color? My guess on gender is roo?
BEA85D36-9000-4CDF-AAC2-3A55DA2E5513.jpeg
this splash a pullet? She is just now getting a few blue splash feathers coming in, but it’s not much
77848C4E-0CB7-4721-B990-11FA8150DB13.jpeg
And last this splash that I’m leaning a little more towards roo but not sure
45B0B445-3DF0-4E50-9FBC-F3740297946E.jpeg
Thanks in advance for any guesses on their gender or color!!
Oh and I should mention that they are from second import birds- which I thought was better (health wise) until I started reading these threads and found out I like the look of the first import birds more, oh well, now it’ll give me a reason to hatch some more eggs!!

Attachments

• 540DBB2D-5287-4F01-95CB-AD52E3C10B2E.jpeg
    540DBB2D-5287-4F01-95CB-AD52E3C10B2E.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
@chickenpolo thanks for sharing your chick pics. It's been so long since I've brooded young ones, it's nice to see them here. I don't have any SBs now. I didn't keep with the breed due to constant respiratory infections, but I do love them. I'll take a guess at what they are, but I'm sure there are others with more experience with the breed who will be able to weigh in with their expertise.

My guesses are #1 Splash cockerel, #2 Black cockerel w/ mottling or some type of leakage, #3 Blue pullet, #4 Splash cockerel, #5 Splash pullet (but not much differentiation there), and #6 Splash pullet. This is fun... you'll have to let us know what they end up being when you can tell for sure.

Here are examples of the chicks I hatched two years ago for comparison - Splash in the foreground, Blue in the middle and Black in the back. The rooster I kept was black, but was not a good specimen for feather color or eye color from what I've been reading (pic below). I only hatched eggs from Omega Hill Farms and did not breed any SBs on my own since I only kept one rooster. However, I did hatched eggs from RIRs fertilized by the SB roo and had some amazing results with birchen penciling on feathers. Their egg color isn't greenish at all, but is a rich brown. No pics of them here since they were a hybrid study just for fun.

Enjoy your SBs!

SB chicks.jpg
SB Black Rooster.jpg

@chickenpolo thanks for sharing your chick pics. It's been so long since I've brooded young ones, it's nice to see them here. I don't have any SBs now. I didn't keep with the breed due to constant respiratory infections, but I do love them. I'll take a guess at what they are, but I'm sure there are others with more experience with the breed who will be able to weigh in with their expertise.

My guesses are #1 Splash cockerel, #2 Black cockerel w/ mottling or some type of leakage, #3 Blue pullet, #4 Splash cockerel, #5 Splash pullet (but not much differentiation there), and #6 Splash pullet. This is fun... you'll have to let us know what they end up being when you can tell for sure.

Here are examples of the chicks I hatched two years ago for comparison - Splash in the foreground, Blue in the middle and Black in the back. The rooster I kept was black, but was not a good specimen for feather color or eye color from what I've been reading (pic below). I only hatched eggs from Omega Hill Farms and did not breed any SBs on my own since I only kept one rooster. However, I did hatched eggs from RIRs fertilized by the SB roo and had some amazing results with birchen penciling on feathers. Their egg color isn't greenish at all, but is a rich brown. No pics of them here since they were a hybrid study just for fun.

Enjoy your SBs!

View attachment 1984096 View attachment 1984104
Thanks for your input! I will try to update in a few more weeks when it’s more obvious what their sex is. Your chicks were so cute,
I hope I don’t run into the health problems with them
I’m pretty sure I don’t have a black one though because where I got the eggs from she had only splash roosters over splash and blue hens so couldn’t get black from that.
here are the 2 blues at 1 week- the one blue That I think is a cockerel is really dark blue, quite a bit darker then the pullet now that they are really feathering in
32393A15-F081-43F2-B107-AF59BB6B1CE7.jpeg

Hi, all! :frow Glad to see that this thread is still active.

I recently hatched a blue SB (sounds redundant, doesn't it?) from my own stock, as well as an SBxBCM --> it's a big deal for me because I just kept hatching blacks, even with blue roos over black hens. :barnie

The SB is on the left, OE/cross (also blue) on the right for comparison.

5CB88C6F-E3D5-4CCB-B50D-589392D036B9.jpeg

Hi, all! :frow Glad to see that this thread is still active.

I recently hatched a blue SB (sounds redundant, doesn't it?) from my own stock, as well as an SBxBCM --> it's a big deal for me because I just kept hatching blacks, even with blue roos over black hens. :barnie

The SB is on the left, OE/cross (also blue) on the right for comparison.

View attachment 1986806
Such cute little chicks!!
This seems to be a very slow thread lol hopefully there will be a few more reply’s. How long have you raised SB for??

Back
Top Bottom