'Similar threads' Dredging up Old Threads

I love the way the alerts work now! :frow:clapAt least, the little dots on the side that show whether I have read them or not. And I just discovered tonight that if i don't want to read them, I can turn off the alert by just clicking on the little dot!!!! (I still wish my "watched" threads would alert me of new activity every day when I first come on, though.)

Geez, quit beating a dead horse people......it's more annoying than the old threads.

There will always be something(s) about a forum platform that is/are not ideal,
learn to live with it...and be glad it's here to begin with.
Not to mention the amazing amount of work that has gone into making it the best it can be.
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the issue had been hashed out so many times. I made the thread in the first place to comment about the 'recent threads' bar, not the issue as a whole.
Sorry for the hassle!

I've seen other forums set up a warning on dead threads at the reply box. Someone can reply if they really want to, but have to confirm they understand the thread is old.

View attachment 2523306
Ohh I really like this idea! I'm not opposed to people replying to old threads, but I dont like doing it myself and get super embarrassed if I do, so this could help me prevent any accidental thread resurrections! ( personally I prefer making a new thread about my specific situation if I cant find an older one with a solution, but I can understand others points of preferring to reply to older threads too! )

I like the feature. Many of the same subjects have been posted about several time over and much of the information is as pertinent now as it was when the thread was started. Many people instead of looking at the older threads post new ones about the exact same thing and get the pretty much exact same information. Just my personal opinion. Good luck and have a great day...

I love the way the alerts work now! :frow:clapAt least, the little dots on the side that show whether I have read them or not. And I just discovered tonight that if i don't want to read them, I can turn off the alert by just clicking on the little dot!!!! (I still wish my "watched" threads would alert me of new activity every day when I first come on, though.)
YES!!! Love this so much.
I do wonder if I don't get rid of the notification (go to the post or manually clear the notification) is that why I stopped being notified about posts/threads I'm watching? It's usually the threads with hundreds of replies. I won't see notifications for days and then I'll remember that I want to post something on that thread. After finding it, I discover that I've missed so much but haven't had any notifications. Did I just miss one and then stop getting notified altogether? I know this doesn't necessarily apply here but I wanted to agree with @BigBlueHen53

YES!!! Love this so much.
I do wonder if I don't get rid of the notification (go to the post or manually clear the notification) is that why I stopped being notified about posts/threads I'm watching? It's usually the threads with hundreds of replies. I won't see notifications for days and then I'll remember that I want to post something on that thread. After finding it, I discover that I've missed so much but haven't had any notifications. Did I just miss one and then stop getting notified altogether? I know this doesn't necessarily apply here but I wanted to agree with @BigBlueHen53

Yes, if you ignore a reply notification it doesn't send any new ones.

Yes, if you ignore a reply notification it doesn't send any new ones.
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess this is the standard pretty much everywhere. It took me a bit to figure out what was causing me to miss notifications but surprise, it's only my unorganized self. I'm one of those few very unorganized people that would benefit from a reminder of the missed notification. That sounds so silly even to me. I'm hoping the way the notifications are set up now will help me with this. Thanks again for confirming my suspicion. I really appreciate you

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess this is the standard pretty much everywhere. It took me a bit to figure out what was causing me to miss notifications but surprise, it's only my unorganized self. I'm one of those few very unorganized people that would benefit from a reminder of the missed notification. That sounds so silly even to me. I'm hoping the way the notifications are set up now will help me with this. Thanks again for confirming my suspicion. I really appreciate you

Now and then I go to the "Threads with your posts" section to look through and see what I might have missed (as opposed to things I got bored with and stopped following).

Back
Top Bottom