Simple and easy ways to keep your chickens cool

Huh.....not sure this is accurate. None of mine have died when I turn the fan off.
Thanks for sharing this! I must admit, not all fan experiences are bad. Just saying that from what I've heard and my personal experiences have had birds die.

Other factors may have been at play....like dehydration/heat stroke may have advanced too far before fan was employed.
This I have seen with older hens. Early in summer when temperatures get up for first time a small percentage few of the older American Dominiques are particularly vulnerable to heat. Once they get the purple head is pretty much over as real damage has already occurred.

Thank goodness for fans. They have kept my chickens alive. Just don't turn them off if it's still too hot. I use all of the methods. Cool puddle of water to stand in, as much shade as possible using shrubs and shade cloth, cold watermelon and cucumbers, cool water, etc. Those work during the day. The fans in their coop at night moving the air are totally necessary though even though they have plenty of ventilation. Often it is quite hot and humid at night and the air just does not move. They have 8 windows, a cupola and one side completely open (secure but open) but they still need the fans. If I were to lose power during one of these sticky nights, I'd move them into puppy cages in the basement. I had to do this only once in 12 years of keeping chickens. Nothing wrong with fans!

Back
Top Bottom