Simple pecking? Warning graphic pic!

vintagechick

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
Hi all,

I would very much love your input. We went on vacation for a week and had our neighbor's teenage daughter look after our animals. Very responsible, no reason to think she did anything but take the best care she knew how of our animals. For the chickens I pretty much just instructed her on feed and water. We use the deep litter method so cleaning wasn't an issue for her.

Last night we returned home and I went into the run and fed them all some treats out of my hands because I missed them and everyone seemed fine. Then this afternoon when I got home from running errands I noticed some blood on the back of my sweet silver spangled hamburg. I quickly took her out and put her in a separate box, but was that the right move? What if anything else should I be doing for her? Is this just a simple case of pecking or could is be a pest or parasite? Why would the flock do this to her now? Also, about 2 weeks ago we tragically lost her sister so she is the only chicken left of this size in the flock. Her sister was small but mighty in the pecking order. Could it be a size thing? If so what do I do? I only have one bird this small?? Sorry for all the questions but I love my birds like pets, and my pair of Hamburgs were such sweeties and the thought of losing the second one is not one I want to entertain.

Here is a picture of the injury. The best I could get anyway. This is directly on the top of her back. The bloody spot being down low near where her tail feathers start.

It looks like she is being bullied by the others. And yes she's probably being bullied now because she is the only bird of that size. The only thing I can think of to help her stop being bullied and pecked is to have a separate spot for her to hang out... Like a miniature coop that she can go in and relax away from the others. That could help her regain her motivation around the others and maybe peck back when she's pecked on. Instead of a extra coop you could make her a little box with hay and comfy stuff in for her to relax in. Hope this helps. :)

Yes, she's been picked on. Feather picking could just be bullying, or the other chickens may feel a need for some nutrients they're finding in the feathers.
I would separate her and put blu-kote on the spot so when you re-introduce her there won't be further picking. Blu-kote is great for covering the red spot so they won't find it.

Those are great ideas! Thanks so much!! The blu kote will be great because she seems so miserable being kept away from the flock!

It looks like she is being bullied by the others. And yes she's probably being bullied now because she is the only bird of that size. The only thing I can think of to help her stop being bullied and pecked is to have a separate spot for her to hang out... Like a miniature coop that she can go in and relax away from the others. That could help her regain her motivation around the others and maybe peck back when she's pecked on. Instead of a extra coop you could make her a little box with hay and comfy stuff in for her to relax in. Hope this helps. :)

Do you know where I can find some examples of this or maybe pictures of these mini coops or boxes? Do I make them so small only she can fit in them? I would love to do this for her. I want to make sure she can keep her place in the flock. Also, would adding more smaller sized birds to the flock help the problem or only make it worse??

I'm wondering abut that size thing too, because I have three chicks I'd like to put into the flock. The guy at the feed store told me I would be able to put them in with the flock (just 4-hens) in two weeks, but that was 2-months ago. I delayed putting them into the flock because I read they should be almost as big as the flock chickens. They are about half the size of the other hens. Will the bigger hens try to kill the little chickens?

I wouldn't know, my chicks had their mom to protect them. Perhaps wait a little longer, until they're about 3/4ths of the size of the grown birds. And always keep an eye on them when you first introduce.

Back
Top Bottom