Simple PVC Feeder (PICS)

I also looked at plenty of ideas and pics and came up with my own. I have 30 chickens feeding out this 1 feeder. It holds about 50 pounds of feed when full. Also the waterer is for horses but works great for the chickens it is self filling

Sorry I meant to quote this post!! This is the one I am wondering about the mess!

My gals tend to get some on the floor, but they're quick to clean it up. I'd be interested in finding out more about the extension pieces.

I am thinking about making one like this, i was just wondering if anyone could let me know if this design jams if water gets in the bottom where the chickens eat from if some rain happens to blow in.

I think I will do your design because right now I have an elbow on the bottom and feed is spilling out onto the ground. I will have to also buy the caps. Thank you for your pics and for the post.

I had been looking for a good feeder design that did not take much space and would serve 4-5 hens well and after reading through this and other threads I thought yours was a great option. However, I wanted two access points for the girls but did not want two separate feeders so I ended up locating a 3x3x3 double wye and went from there. I also wanted it to stand out from the wall so I used two 3" metal pipe hangers and bent the hanger portion at a 90 and attached it to the wall. That gave a few inches clearance. Thank you again for your inspiration. The girls were feeding out of it after just a few minutes of their standard close inspection.

Hello, I cannot find all these parts in the white PVC but I can in the black PVC. Any reason black PVC wouldn't work?

Cannot imagine that would be a problem - would just stay looking clean longer
big_smile.png

One error I made was I did not make the extensions long enough and they settled down to be level with the Wye.
I did not glue them so I will pull them out and make them about 1/2" longer.

I've cut the extensions and it looks like it's going to come together nicely, a big thank you to this thread! The black plastic is ABS not PVC I've done some looking online but there is very conflicting information on whether or not this would be safe. Does anyone know whether or not there would be any issues with using this type of plastic for chicken food?

Back
Top Bottom