Simple way to collect eggs without getting pecked. The EggBlock system!

ella

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Aboard the the Heart of Gold
I’ve looked and haven’t found this anywhere so forgive me if it’s well known, but, here’s my method for collecting eggs from a broody hen: I call it egg block.

Basically you take an egg in your hand and when she wants to peck you you present the egg. Stroke her with the egg. Especially on the beak and face, and speak softly while you do it. I know it sounds weird. 😂 But if you can associate your hand and voice with the feeling of the eggshell on her face, it turns her aggression down.
I have a vid example on my Instagram attached. crazydaisychickens
I’m sure there are broodies that may not respond, but it’s always worked for me and I thought it could help some people.
Happy chickening!

Lula the broody
Session 2
Lula endgame

I'll put my phone by her head and reach under her with the other hand. She pecks my phone and not my hand.
I do this, I also just absorb the blows. Mine don't peck hard enough to break skin most of the time so I just put up with it. I want brooding to be as tolerable for them as possible so they do it again.

I’ve looked and haven’t found this anywhere so forgive me if it’s well known, but, here’s my method for collecting eggs from a broody hen: I call it egg block.

Basically you take an egg in your hand and when she wants to peck you you present the egg. Stroke her with the egg. Especially on the beak and face, and speak softly while you do it. I know it sounds weird. 😂 But if you can associate your hand and voice with the feeling of the eggshell on her face, it turns her aggression down.
I have a vid example on my Instagram attached. crazydaisychickens
I’m sure there are broodies that may not respond, but it’s always worked for me and I thought it could help some people.
Happy chickening!

Lula the broody
Session 2
Lula endgame
Don't think the eggs really helped much, cause she still bit the heck out of you!
Kudos for not over-reacting to those bites, staying calm really helps in this scenario.
But she got used to you touching her and then reaching under her.
I've done the same with my broodies, think it's good to be able to handle them like that to check eggs and nest....and it once saved a chick whose neck was tangled in mama's breast feathers from being strangled.

Back
Top Bottom