Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I left my incubator lid open ovrr night one time.......

But still had eggs hatch. ........ looking for a chair to hide under

I love stories like that! It was one such story that convinced me to go ahead and try out this experiment and not sweat the small stuff. It was a thread here called "I did everything wrong and they still hatched" or some such title but it was encouraging that not all incubations have to be uber controlled to be successful.

This experiment has nothing to do with control and more to do with "add heat and moisture to eggs for 21 days and see what happens".
big_smile.png

I'm not counting the first day because it was started late, so this is day 5 for the nest.

I saw veins and movement in the Delaware eggs I am hatching for @capayvalleychick on day 5. It is fairly easy to see into those eggs with a candler.

Thanks, Pete! I was wondering about the worst case scenario on it and that takes a big load off my mind!
hugs.gif
I was thinking death or severely malformed chicks, which would be worse than death.

I've seen all the tutorials on candling but I still don't see what those folks see in those eggs so it's more likely that I will still be in the dark on that candling. I think I'll just have to wait til the very end and be surprised. That's always better anyway!
big_smile.png

lol maybe u need a brighter torch
wink.png

lol maybe u need a brighter torch
wink.png

I have some pretty bright LCD flashlights...almost blinding! I'll have to see what they can do when I candle...will let you know what happens with that.
big_smile.png

I kind of like the fact that these chicks are being incubated in the darkness and am wondering if it will mean anything for their growth and vigor. I've always noticed that broody hatched chicks never just up and die for no reason, they are always strong and active and they seem much tougher than hatchery chicks. I know that human children do most of their growing at night while they are asleep, especially in the long bones, so I wonder if this is significant for chicks too....even during the brood time after the hatch. They don't have a light shining on them all the time then either and have definitely sleep and wake, rest and activity cycles. I can't help but think that a light shining into the eggs and onto the chicks all during these important growth stages could be a little detrimental to their life in some small way.

I'm thinking that using this heating pad for a brooder will also continue those patterns to yield a stronger, more vigorous chick.

I saw veins and movement in the Delaware eggs I am hatching for @capayvalleychick on day 5. It is fairly easy to see into those eggs with a candler.

Delaware eggs are pretty light colored...some of these are darker BA eggs. The Dels and WRs won't be so bad, so I'll probably choose one of those to visualize when I candle my one egg.

If I do candle an egg, it's likely that I won't tell what it shows.....that would ruin the surprise!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom