Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

When I turn each day I'll give a sniff...I have a great sniffer.
thumbsup.gif
That works well!

Some people have nose problems and have others smell for them.

A large black mass growing in the center of the egg, a lighter colored area under the mass and a good growing air sack on top? maybe an area the size of a bean in the center'ish of the dark mass??? am I close at all?

A large black mass growing in the center of the egg, a lighter colored area under the mass and a good growing air sack on top? maybe an area the size of a bean in the center'ish of the dark mass??? am I close at all?

Nope...just a round, darker circle in the egg and the air cell. That's it. It's in the center of the egg, if that matters, but along one wall more than the other. No bean.

Bee, when I candle I usually wait until day 16 or so. On that day the difference is astounding between developed and dud. I have trouble seeing veins and motion in even lighter eggs, but after the first couple of weeks empty eggs look pretty much empty or have a hint of yolk. Developing eggs are just DARK inside around that time and the veins are VERY pronounced.

Last edited:
It might be too early to really see anything anyway, since the lower temperatures most likely slowed down embryo growth, especially since we're not really positive when it got cold. So they could be a bit behind.

Spent the weekend planning my brooder this time...I think I'll make this one out of old logs and I've got a good idea for constructing a cheap, quick chick feeding trough that can be lengthened to add space. When these chicks hatch they will be sharing space a week or so later with 12 CX chicks, at which time we'd need a bit more trough space.

This will be interesting as these chicks won't have a light, just the broody "mama", so it will be fun to watch how they move and groove in that type of setting, but I'm hoping it's just like the chicks in a broody hatch do.

Back
Top Bottom