Singing chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grille, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Egg production has been slowing down and after reading on this forum I figured it must be due to decreased daylight. I was going to put a white light out in the coop for a few hours but I already had Christmas lights up inside so I put them on. I forgot to turn them off before going to bed. I got up at 4am for work and I hear a racket coming from my chickens. I started to panic thinking a predator was in the coop so I ran outside.

I get half way to the coop and I realize it's not a sound of distress coming from the coop, but ALL of the chickens sounded like they were singing! I swear it was like listening to an organized choir singing. I was not drunk, and not sleepwalking or dreaming (as my husband suggested when I tried to describe it to him) lol... I unplugged the lights and they all instantly stopped and it was dead silent.

Last night I purposely left the lights on and when I got up at 4am I heard the same thing again. WHAT is going on??? I left them on again tonight and if they are singing again when I get up in the AM I'm going to try to video it. I swear, I'm not crazy!

2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Not quite sure why they would be singing. The only thing that I can think of is if the light is on all night maybe they are finding it difficult to get some rest and are just a little cranky when you go out to check on them. Is it possible for you to add a timer to you lights and have them come on around dusk till 10:00 PM and then 5:00 AM to 8:00 AM. I just heard that this is how some people provide more lighting for their hens giving them a period of darkness to get some rest.

I would like to know how the singing goes!!!! :)

3. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

With Christmas lights on perhaps they are practicing their carols. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by