Singing chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by navasima, Aug 25, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I caught one of my 4 week old Banties and one of my 8 week old Silkies (seperate housing) trilling like song birds this morning. Nothing remotely like a crowing sound. Is trilling a precursor to crowing? Do chickens make prettier sounds than I was aware of? Definitely saw each of them doing it - not just a passing bird. [​IMG]

2. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    My chicks trilled too. I don't think it's gender specific. Sign of happy chicks. [​IMG]

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Love it when they do that! I have a little Minorca who has a very sweet voice, and is always using it with happy sounds. Makes me happy, too! [​IMG]

4. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    My hens trill when they see an airborne predator. They have one eye on the sky and they purr.
    When a cat approaches them they yodel, or make a sound that sounds like an 'egg call'..
    So when we hear them, we can tell if they have seen something from the sky or on the ground and we know where to look!
    Just one more idea for you to consider!

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I have two 9 week old chicks that spend the nights inside. Sometimes they trill softly when they hear music on TV.

6. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thank you all very much for your responses! -glad to know this is not a sign of "rooness". [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Chipy - the happy 4 week old. I'm rather concerned by the tiny red wattles and slow to grow feathers.......but I may be a weenie and let (him) stay anyway! [​IMG]

7. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    My chicks trill too, particularly when it's about time for bed..I love it, it's so peaceful and sweet sounding [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by