Singing tips?

WooingWyandotte

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Arkansas
I'm learning to sing, it's one of the things I've dreaded throughout my life. So, I have to conquer it. Yes, yes, I sound like a dying narwhal but I can at least try; I've found some helpful resources on Google about breathing through your diaphragm - my voice is already improving and more steady.
But I was wondering if there was any good singing tips on here? Advice?

My best advise is that everyone can sing, it just takes practice. You want to be careful to take things progressively, don't push your voice. Don't ever try to work through pain. Warm up your voice as you would warm up muscles. Look up scoops and lip trills to get started with online. My question would be what style you hope to sing the most. I'm a classically trained opera singer, so some of my methods may not make sense if you aren't interested in that style.

Aha! That's why you have that screenname - tooooo coooool!
clap.gif

Open your mouth. Seriously, not being funny. Most people don't open their mouths enough. If you feel like you look ridiculous, that's about right.

I took lessons from a friend who needed to teach people for her Masters, she was always getting on my case about this.

What about looking at songs in a variety of different keys and tempos? I would also practice singing all sorts of songs, and sit up with spine straight or stand up while singing.

Quote:
This is also a good place to start. Just note that you do not want to increase tension by thinking about keeping the spine "straight" , The spine should follow it's natural curve which is what it does when we "Stand up straight". There are some great images if you google singing posture.

Bantamoftheopera - Thank you for that very helpful input. I'm not sure yet what style I want to sing, I just want to get the basics of posture and exercising my vocal chords. I'll definitely google it.

Find a rare, old-style teacher who teaches the operatic method.
No, I'm serious.
We were blessed to find an excellent teacher. She teaches that method: mostly vocalise at the lessons, and you learn to project your voice through your nose (you start every lesson by humming through your nose) breathing like you're "smelling a rose", and use your cheeks to sing the high notes, as opposed to the choral technique which produces dull, breathy and flat sounds in comparison. It really works, not just for opera, but musical theater, or whatever except maybe pop or rock.
sickbyc.gif

But most importantly keep singing! And have fun!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom