Single Chick Hatched...

BonnieJean

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Connecticut
Hi everyone! This is my first time with a broody and I'm confused what would be the best thing to do... I had a single chick hatch yesterday and am unsure whether to bring her inside by herself under a heat lamp or just leave her with the hen separated in the coop. It's pretty cold outside at night (it dropped into the teens last night), but the chick is still peeping this morning, so the mom is doing a good job keeping her warm. Hopefully another chick will hatch today and I can just bring them both inside! I also have some chicks that I ordered coming in a few days, so if I bring her inside, she won't be alone for long. What would you do? Thanks!!

I'd leave the chick with its Mama Hen. That's how chicks and hens managed for ages, and Mama will do a good job of keeping the little one warm with her own body (plus the heater in your coop)! Congratulations!

Thanks for the quick advice! I really appreciate it
smile.png

Yes. If mama hen was smart enough to hatch out the chicks, then she is smart enough to keep them warm.

Also, if you get those new chicks soon enough, you may be able to introduce them to the mama hen and she may adopt them. It's a lot simpler having all your chicks "in one basket," and especially if that basket is a motherly hen!

My black Australorps handle up to 25 chicks each. And there's nothing as fun as watching a mama hen tend to her babies.

hu.gif
That is a tuff question! I'd want to bring the peep inside, BUT momma hen SHOULD be the one to keep her baby all snuggled up with her, safe and warm. You have more chicks due to arrive....Let momma have her baby. She sat there for 3 weeks waiting.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom