1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Single Chick Hatched...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BonnieJean, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi everyone! This is my first time with a broody and I'm confused what would be the best thing to do... I had a single chick hatch yesterday and am unsure whether to bring her inside by herself under a heat lamp or just leave her with the hen separated in the coop. It's pretty cold outside at night (it dropped into the teens last night), but the chick is still peeping this morning, so the mom is doing a good job keeping her warm. Hopefully another chick will hatch today and I can just bring them both inside! I also have some chicks that I ordered coming in a few days, so if I bring her inside, she won't be alone for long. What would you do? Thanks!!

2. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    I'd leave the chick with its Mama Hen. That's how chicks and hens managed for ages, and Mama will do a good job of keeping the little one warm with her own body (plus the heater in your coop)! Congratulations!

3. BonnieJean

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the quick advice! I really appreciate it [​IMG]

4. britlitgal

britlitgal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Poland, Ohio
    Congrats on your hatch(es)! [​IMG]

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Congrats! and more to come! Mamma knows best.

6. BonnieJean

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I finally got to see the baby and she is so cute!!!

7. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Yes. If mama hen was smart enough to hatch out the chicks, then she is smart enough to keep them warm.

Also, if you get those new chicks soon enough, you may be able to introduce them to the mama hen and she may adopt them. It's a lot simpler having all your chicks "in one basket," and especially if that basket is a motherly hen!

My black Australorps handle up to 25 chicks each. And there's nothing as fun as watching a mama hen tend to her babies.

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That is a tuff question! I'd want to bring the peep inside, BUT momma hen SHOULD be the one to keep her baby all snuggled up with her, safe and warm. You have more chicks due to arrive....Let momma have her baby. She sat there for 3 weeks waiting.[​IMG]

9. BonnieJean

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks guys! You're awesome!!!

10. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Yes I agree Momma knows best! Congrads maybe give her a few of your chicks you ordered! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by