Single chick problem

Jenlee5

Hatching
Apr 16, 2021
Hello, I thought I would join this forum for answers to my questions because I get so many mixed answers from looking things up online. Anyways, I rescued a chick from a feed store because it was getting beat up pretty badly by the other ones and the people who owned the store weren’t helping it. The chick is almost four weeks old now and as I have been doing research for the past couple weeks I feel that it is cruel to raise the chick by itself. I am not sure if I should find it a friend or just keep raising a single chick? It is hard to find chicks that are in the same age range. I went to go look at more chicks the other day but they were all too small. And I don’t know how my chick would react, I’m sure not pleasantly. So should I add another older chick? Or is it too late? Or maybe a slightly smaller chick? If I introduce them properly.

If adding younger chicks, like under a week old, best to put a divider in the brooder to give the littlest ones a chance to find their feet first, and once they're about a week old they should be steady enough to hold their own.

If adding younger chicks, like under a week old, best to put a divider in the brooder to give the littlest ones a chance to find their feet first, and once they're about a week old they should be steady enough to hold their own.
I set up a new broader right next to the other one since the new chicks are much smaller. I introduced them to my older chick and she was not happy. So I will definitely take my time getting them all use to each other.

Back
Top Bottom