single chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poularde, Aug 12, 2010.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    So,

I do not know what to do. I did not have a very good hatch rate. Looks like I am having a single chick. Will it be ok by itself? It's brooder will be in the same room as my almost four week old chicks. Do I need to try and find some chicks for sale? How close in age should they be? Any advice will be apreciated. Can the chick grow up by itself and be introduced to the other older chicks? Thanks anyone.[​IMG]

2. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    it would be best if it had a buddy yes. Having it in the same room as the rest might help or it might stress it out if it can hear them but cant find them. Maybe if you can separate with a piece of Plexiglas so they can see each other and get close but the older ones cant hurt it. Putting a feather duster or a stuff toy in with it might help as well. Of course the best option is to buy him a buddy or two, as long as they are with in a week or so of each other and they are all strong and healthy they should be fine together keep an eye out just to be sure they get along.

3. thumbless

thumbless Songster

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I have had problems with chicks that were only a week apart, however I had some that were 3 weeks apart that did good, I did put then in the same coop but had them seperated by a fence for a couple of weeks.

4. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Thank you Julie08. I will try to find some chicks that age. I think I may have some difficulty with that. It is not really chick season right now. Where could I post on this forum for chicks under a week in WA state? [​IMG] I hope I can find some. I hate to have a lonely chick.[​IMG] If I can not find chicks I will try having it in sight of the other chicks. Thanks for the response thumbless.

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Any chance you have a broody you can trick into thinking that she hatched this baby (aka: put an egg under her in the daytime and swap it out at night for the chick)? She'd keep her company and should keep her safe from the other birds. Just a thought.
    I did it with my broody recently. She hatched just one chick and I took one that I hatched in the bator and put it under her. She took to it as if it were her own.
    You could do the same thing if you get a second chick, put them both under the broody.

6. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I wish to have a broody, but unfortunately not one of my hens have that instinct. Poor little chick. I hope to find someone to keep him company.[​IMG]

7. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Songster

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    feather duster works wonders...[​IMG]

8. Celiandy

Celiandy Songster

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Maybe try a wanted ad on craigslist, the Seattle or Olympic Peninsula in either the farm and garden or wanted section. I've had great luck posting there. Or, if you want to drive a few hours out to Sequim, WA, I know someone who probably has some [​IMG] Good luck!

9. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I had a single chick for two weeks until another clutch hatched. She was very lonesome in her brooder until I put a stuffed bird in there with her. Of course we spent a lot of time holding and petting her, and now she's our tamest hen. At two weeks I put her in with four newly hatched chicks at night and everyone got along fine in the morning. However, in my case the older chick was the lone one, and she was very happy to have company. I'd be worried that in your case the older chicks might attack the newbie baby.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: