Single Comb Blue Laced Red Wyondottes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by friskebluegills, Oct 15, 2010.

1. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    I know that wyondottes have rose combs, but we're looking at getting a few from someone and he said that he has 4 rose combs and 4 single combs. He said that it happens sometimes. Before I but them I was just wondering if that was right, it doesn't really seem like it, but then again I haven't studied up on the genetics, Thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    it happens in some line as single comb is rec... and there's also a link between homozygous rosecomb and fertility...

3. friskebluegills

Jul 17, 2010
    Quote:Could you elaborate more on the fertility thing? I'm kind of confused [​IMG]

4. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Wyandottes sometimes have a single comb, due to having cochin in their background. You wouldn't show those as it's not acceptable. That being said, I know some breeders like to keep a couple of single combs in their breeding programs because it increases fertility.

5. friskebluegills

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks a lot that helps, I'll probably get them then [​IMG]

6. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Single combed birds are always (or most of the time) more fertile than other types of combs? Or specifically more fertile than rosecombs?

I had a breeder tell me a few weeks ago that if I saw a roo with some kind of a giant, out of proportion sized comb (for the breed), that it was typically not fertile or not as fertile as a roo with a normal sized comb.

7. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Correct the birds with a single comb cannot be shown, but the Blue Laced Red is not an accepted variety for the breed. It can be shown, but only in the AOV class and could only win Best of that, would not go on to Best Of Breed. Just wanted to add this, in case you weren't aware and wanted to show at some point in the future.

8. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most likely some of the birds have Single Comb is do to there crossed with a Single Comb R.I. Red.
    You use a R.I. Red to get the dark red color in the Blue Laced Reds and some breeders use a single comb Red and others uses a rose comb Red.

As far a Rose comb breeds having lower fertility, Im sorry I just dont see it. I have Rose comb breeds and I have very good fertility with them.
    I get nearly 95% hatch with all my rose comb breeds.

Chris

10. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote:Chris -

Just curious - with your rose combed breeds, what is your rooster to hen ratio?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by